+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: SME V and Technics EPA-100

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Blake,

Sorry for the late reply - I got caught up in one or two things!

Just to clarify, it is my 103R (in the wood body) that weighs 11 grams and I wanted to know if I could go with a heavier headshell (am I reading you correctly in that your FR headshell weighs 20g on its own without cartridge installed)
    Yes; it's nearly 30g with the cartridge included, so you should be fine with your combination.

That being said, the counterweight on the 750D appears to be more substantial (at least from viewing photos online) than that of the 250 and the 250S (go here:
    http://gon5.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1187645377.jpg to see a photo) and similar to the counterweight on the 10.5S on the Pure Music website.
    It is quite a substantial counterweight balance on the 750, but it's not the same as the one shown in your link.

There do appear to be pretty big cosmetic (fit and finish) differences between the 250S (which is available for $290 U.S.) and the 750D which also offers fluid damping, which I'm inclined to use with my 103R.
    There are quite big cosmetic differences but I suspect that they're not too significant in terms of how both arms perform sonically.

But the bearing thing had me confused. The Pure Music site (as well as the Feickert site) make reference to the quality of the bearings (gimbal in the vertical axis and needle roller in the horizontal plane) implying that this might be a better bearing spec than on the less expensive Jelcos. I've made inquiries but really haven't been able to establish whether there is in fact a difference in bearings between the 10.5S and the 750D let alone the 750D and the less expensive 250 and 250S. I'm inclined to agree with you that the bearings are probably the same but the "built to spec" remarks on the Pure Music website got me wondering.
    I know what you mean but I wouldn't worry about it. Whichever Jelco you go for the bearings will be of a very high quality.

One final question: do you know how much the stock Jelco headshell on the 750 weighs? Thanks in advance!!!
    It weighs 11g (bare).

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Hugo.

Stumbled upon this thread after a Google search and it's certainly one of the most lively threads I've come across here!

Years on, how do participants feel about their views on various arms? I've heard Jelco Trash-talked over at over forums, so it's particularly surpising to see comments like:

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Little does he know that the 250ST you've got (as confirmed by your own ears) is as good as an SME IV you used to have!

Both are exceptionally good arms and quite obviously can hold their own with much more expensive designs.

Marco.
    Jelco 250ST as good as SME IV???? They're certainly not in the same price range

I'm Geoff.

Erm. Eight years on? Some of the original contributors to this thread may be in sheltered housing for the elderly by now .

Anyway. I've not done the comparison. But others may respond.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Erm. Eight years on? Some of the original contributors to this thread may be in sheltered housing for the elderly by now .

Anyway. I've not done the comparison. But others may respond.
    if not many probably should be
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Hugo.

Senior citizens are the main target audience of our hobby anyway. As old as this thread may me, I think it has a little life in it. Many comparisons here that I haven't seen elsewhere

I'm Syed.

The EPA100 was different........I reverted back to the SME V and have been using it ever since.

The EPA100 was rewired with Cardas by AudioOrigami (he has has rewired all of my tonearms) and the SME V is with Kondo Silver Fairy.

Cartridge is Denon 103SA, Phono Pre is a World Designs Pre/Phono Pre 3 specifically tuned for Denon 103's (had a 103R retipped/catilevered) by Expert Stylus).

The arm is used on a Technics SP10 in the original Obsidian plinth with either a Radford STA 25 or a Krell KSA80 or a Mr Liang 845 or Rotel Michi with spekers Yamaha NS1000m or Tannoy DMT15's.

I'm happy with the set up....

The only upgrade needed is a man cave at the bottom of the garden and some four face 18's where the bass is driven by the the Krell and mid/tops (Yam NS1000M) by the Radford.

Nothing else to add as it's all subjective. May get Garrard 401's and the SME 3012's (also rewired by AudioOrigami) out someday!

s

I'm shahrin.

Quote Originally Posted by shahsy View Post
    The EPA100 was different........I reverted back to the SME V and have been using it ever since.

The EPA100 was rewired with Cardas by AudioOrigami (he has has rewired all of my tonearms) and the SME V is with Kondo Silver Fairy.

Cartridge is Denon 103SA, Phono Pre is a World Designs Pre/Phono Pre 3 specifically tuned for Denon 103's (had a 103R retipped/catilevered) by Expert Stylus).

The arm is used on a Technics SP10 in the original Obsidian plinth with either a Radford STA 25 or a Krell KSA80 or a Mr Liang 845 or Rotel Michi with spekers Yamaha NS1000m or Tannoy DMT15's.

I'm happy with the set up....

The only upgrade needed is a man cave at the bottom of the garden and some four face 18's where the bass is driven by the the Krell and mid/tops (Yam NS1000M) by the Radford.

Nothing else to add as it's all subjective. May get Garrard 401's and the SME 3012's (also rewired by AudioOrigami) out someday!

s
    Very interesting thread this that author of thread made just 2 posts on 1st page then there is this lively discussion, all 8 yrs go
    ...and now he gives us his verdict, to the relief of SME fans.

Wow thats some super gear there Shahsy
    I am sprucing up a 3012 with new wires and a few other bits and bobs
    I use NS1000 too. Do let us know when u get the man cave and the 18'' subs
    Last edited by drSM; 16-04-2017 at 02:14.
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm Hugo.

Fantastic indeed. The SME V opinions are what had me the most curious. It's always been my out-of-my-league dream arm.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567