+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Jumpers My Story

I'm Robert.

Default Speaker Jumpers My Story

Recently had some speaker jumpers made up for me - QED Genesis Silver Spiral. I have the Silver Spiral single run speaker cable and it is great. Anyway, as a result I decided that things could only get better if I removed the stock links from my beloved Mission 752 Freedoms and replaced them with the same stuf as jumpers which I did yesterday. They were made with bare wire ends by the guy I bought the speaker cable from. I've had two days listening, just to be sure and couldn't believe the effect. Basically, the music became ploddy / laboured, boogie factor gone from my system . Today I decided enough was enough and went back to the stock links - Well guess what, immediate return of sweet rythmic timing / A1 boogie factor, no labouring, system grooving and sounding as musical as you like
    Ok, The ends of the jumpers were a little short on bare wire (have you ever tried strippin the abundance of strands on these things down to bare wire I know the guy who did them for me found it a complete ball ache) but I still managed to get a tight bind onto the posts, in fact my fingers proper hurt afterwards. Just wondered what you guys thought about this and why I experienced such an awful result ??
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 14-06-2012 at 11:47.

I'm Martin.

I've always bi-wired any speakers with 2 sets of terminals. This always gives an improvement over the brass links, the amount of immprovemet seems to depend on the speaker in qustion. With your QED jumpers I would have expected the opposite from what you experienced i.e less ploddy bass, clearer highs. Suggest you have a go at bi-wiring if you have spare cable - some say it makes no difference but there are technical reasons why it does (which go over my head) but something to do with altering the load that the amp 'sees' at it's end.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rob.

I bought some QED SSpiral and had to reterminate the lot! A real pain in the arse. I found that the cable took a long to come on song (2.5m lengths) I am not sure if this woiuld apply to a short length as well. Strange.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Craig.

Robert, I would hazard a guess that you are the only person on this forum who found the supplied links better than the ones you had made.....

I'm Robert.

Hi Craig, I think the fact they were pretty makeshift, (The guy who did them for me struggled with the stripping of the tiny strands) so basically there was very little of the bare wire at the ends to get a goodly amount around the binding posts. The little that I did get was binded very tight but the cables were short, tight and strained if you know what I mean. I think this just meant the signal was struggling too. My guess is if i got some of these http://www.futureshop.co.uk/qed-gene...rs-p-5716.html which are done properly I would have had a far better result - One day when funds permit .

I'm Dave.

Have your Mission terminals got a hole drilled through the shaft ? If so, you can thread the jumpers through to make a more secure termination.

I'm Robert.

Hi Dave, Yeah I did that but was still a crap, stiff, strained connection due to the very limited amount of bare wire on the ends. In fact the bare wire on the ends was more a short stub with the firmness of the plastic jacket in the way / well close. Thinking about it I should have just spent the extra and got the properly done ones, a waste of £30odd quid really but to be honest we all know thats' hifi, not life and death so I just through it

I'm Craig.

Robert, if your main speaker cable isn't terminated, and there is a few inches spare, Just strip a couple of inches back, and thread it through the binding posts, dead easy !

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    Robert, if your main speaker cable isn't terminated, and there is a few inches spare, Just strip a couple of inches back, and thread it through the binding posts, dead easy !
    Hi Craig, 'tis terminated with qed airlocks. I'll probably go with the proper shop ready spaded jobbies as per previous link at some point but in no hurry whatsoever as system sounding lovely currently and I'm so enjoying the music it's making. I'd will do it just for curiousity though and to see

Actually editing now as I've remembered that I do have bare wire at the amp end but trust me there is no way I'm even gonna think about trying to strip back all those tiny (and I mean lots of tiny) strands - I'd rather put needles in my eyes (Well almost) lol
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 20-06-2012 at 21:03.

I'm John.

Burning off plastic wire surround with a gas powered soldering iron does a good job.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast