+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music streaming

I'm Neil.

Default Music streaming

Hi I'm wondering what's he best way to go,Cambridge audio cxn,pioneer 70ae,Yamaha sp 2000.theres some bargains here in NZ ,any thoughts,much appreciated cheers

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Nac View Post
    Hi I'm wondering what's he best way to go,Cambridge audio cxn,pioneer 70ae,Yamaha sp 2000.theres some bargains here in NZ ,any thoughts,much appreciated cheers
    None of them.
    Read this thread http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ng-please-help
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nac View Post
    Don't be put off. You can try a Google Chromecast Audio as a low cost way of trying out streaming. If you are tech savvy you can try out one of many diy options based on the raspberry pi computer. My preference is to use it with the Allo Digione and a good dac. Others favour using pcs or laptops though I personally have found this to be unsatisfactory not least because of cabling issues and tying up a pc. As to dedicated streamers, I have a Cambridge CXN. It is good and very user friendly. However, my Digione sounds better at a much lower cost.

Geoff

I'm Neil.

Cheers for that,it might be a bit short on features for me but will look into availability etc here in NZ

I'm Geoff.

It's more flexible than you think. The chrome cast will work into any hifi with rca phono inputs with a cheap 3.5mm to phonol cable. However, it gives best quality into a DAC with an optical cable.

The app is very good. Basically, almost anything you play on your phone, tablet or pc can be played through your hifi.

Geoff

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Don't be put off. You can try a Google Chromecast Audio as a low cost way of trying out streaming
    It's the simplest, and because its dependant on the device sending the stream it's one of the most flexible methods. The Chromecast device doesn't have any built in apps to be supported by the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    If you are tech savvy you can try out one of many diy options based on the raspberry pi computer
    This is the way I'd go, but I've been using Squeezebox devices for many years.
    My Pi has piCorePlayer installed on it, and I use the Pi purely to host the server (LMS), which means that it controls off site streaming (BBC iPlayer, Spotify, and the Radio Paradise flac stream. It can also handle Tidal, Qobuz & Deezer).
    I have a local library of flac files on a NAS box, and these are also accessible via LMS.

There is also player software in piCorePlayer, which makes the Pi behave in the same manner as a Squeezebox does.

The Squeezebox way of running things means you can access and control the player from either an app on a Smartphone, or from a web browser (which is the way I tend to control things).
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    This is the way I'd go, but I've been using Squeezebox devices for many years.
    My Pi has piCorePlayer installed on it, and I use the Pi purely to host the server (LMS), which means that it controls off site streaming (BBC iPlayer, Spotify, and the Radio Paradise flac stream. It can also handle Tidal, Qobuz & Deezer).
    I have a local library of flac files on a NAS box, and these are also accessible via LMS.

There is also player software in piCorePlayer, which makes the Pi behave in the same manner as a Squeezebox does.

The Squeezebox way of running things means you can access and control the player from either an app on a Smartphone, or from a web browser (which is the way I tend to control things).
    As above...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Chris.

When it comes to streaming if it comes to quality of sound, generally speaking I'm getting excellent results from an sMS-200 Ultra. Yes it's expensive, but it sounds way better than other streaming solutions I have tried.

I personally like using the sMS-200 with its built in Squeezelite implementation (although there are many other options). Perhaps I should have mentioned that the sMS-200 does not have a DAC, and will only connect to a USB DAC.

I've heard that the Cambridge Audio CXN now supports Tidal streaming if you are interested (or is imminent at least). Nowadays there are many ways to skin this cat - but I will warn you that, as versatile and convenient at the Google Chromecast is, it's not really for the audiophile

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by loonytunes View Post
    When it comes to streaming if it comes to quality of sound, generally speaking I'm getting excellent results from an sMS-200 Ultra. Yes it's expensive, but it sounds way better than other streaming solutions I have tried.

I personally like using the sMS-200 with its built in Squeezelite implementation (although there are many other options). Perhaps I should have mentioned that the sMS-200 does not have a DAC, and will only connect to a USB DAC.

I've heard that the Cambridge Audio CXN now supports Tidal streaming if you are interested (or is imminent at least). Nowadays there are many ways to skin this cat - but I will warn you that, as versatile and convenient at the Google Chromecast is, it's not really for the audiophile
    The Chromecast is an entry device but at 30 quid it is very good. With digital, diminishing marginal returns kick in quickly. I agree that the sMS-200 Ultra is very good. On a subjective scale I would put my Cambridge CXN at, say, 75. The sMS would be in the mid 80's. I would put the Chromecast in the high 60s.

I have probably overstated the differences, but the point is that the CXN is clearly better, but of course it should be at more than 20 times the price. I have one plugged into a very revealing bedroom system with a pair of Martin Logan Motion speakers and I am constantly surprised how good it is with Deezer. I was listening to Muddy Waters Folk Singer the other night and it sounded great through the Chromecast.

Geoff

I'm Bob.

OP, are you looking to stream from a commercially available service or a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device in your home?

I changed from a computer based feed to NAS + Renderer + DAC (with some cat 5e cabling) and the change up in quality was immense. Not as good as vinyl but certainly very convenient and as my music is more instantly accessible I get to listen to a wider selection, just picking favourite tracks and adding them to a playlist.

The CXN and Pioneer are well received over here and put the renderer and DAC into one box. As both are DLNA/UPNP compliant they can be controlled via an app (many available free) running on an Apple or Android device.

I'd say give it a go.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast