+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Graphites Are Here

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Mike.

The problem is that 'fancy' metal plugs, which look shiny, like jewellery, are perceived by the uninitiated, as 'better' - not only because they look 'sexier' but also because they're perceived as offering superior material value, than something made from a form of plastic.

That last bit, of course, is true. Trouble is, the 'blingier' you make plugs, the worse they sound (or rather, the worse they make the partnering cable sound)!

That's why clever manufacturers, such as WBT, Eichmann and Furutech, have addressed the problem by producing connectors which are constructed from 'audio-friendly' materials, thus ensuring that optimum signal integrity is maintained, and that the connectors themselves are also engineered to the highest standard.

My view is that most cable manufacturers haven't really cottoned onto the concept yet of just how important the role of the connectors used is in the overall performance of their cables, as the idea that such things can cause significant sonic improvements is a relatively new thing. Let's face it, how many other daftees are there, like me, who have the time and patience to properly test these things?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

A good argument so far for using good quality plugs. Why doesn't the guys who makes these ultra expensive cables give any justification for using poor quality plugs? At five grand for a set of speaker cables you would expect pure silver or copper plugs as standard???? Additionally you'd think he'd offer this service as standard considering the amount of cables he's shifting
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

MartinT Guest

Let's hold back any criticism until I've changed the plugs and tried the cable out. TQ were adamant that they already use the best plugs for the job (they refused to make me a Black Phono with either WBTs or Eichmanns). I'd like to cut them some slack until I've proven things one way or another.

Is Colin here? Care to comment?

I'm Russell.

Martin

Take pics of the cable mate whilst you do the change if you can please, I am still intrigued!

Ta
    Squeezebox Touch -> Beresford Bushmaster DAC -> Leema Pulse Amplifier -> Celestion SL6S

http://www.definedlight.com

I'm Mike.

Andrew, you might find that the "poor quality plug" may be a better match with the cable then a possibly more expensive one.

Marco, I have to agree with you 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
    Andrew, you might find that the "poor quality plug" may be a better match with the cable then a possibly more expensive one.
    That may in fact be the case, Mike. The most important consideration is that the construction of the plugs chosen can physically accommodate the partnering cable, and thus ensure that it is optimally terminated. It goes without saying that this comes before anything else.

However, presuming that WBTs, Eichmanns or Furutechs would be able to do the job equally as well, as the connectors TQ have chosen, then it's difficult to see why their more 'signal integrity-optimised' construction wouldn't increase the overall performance of the TQ cable itself.

I also agree with Andy, to an extent, that if TQ don't have a valid reason (such as mentioned above) for terminating their (very expensive) cables in what are mediocre quality plugs, it's a rather poor show. The cynical amongst us could think that it's all to do with maximising profit margins...

Love or loathe Kimber cables, for example, they certainly ensure that their top designs are terminated with the best plugs!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I also agree with Andy, to an extent, that if TQ don't have a valid reason (such as mentioned above) for terminating their (very expensive) cables in what are mediocre quality plugs, it's a rather poor show. The cynical amongst us could think that it's all to do with maximising profit margins...
    If I can afford to spend over £4000 on a set of cables, it is more than likely that I wouldn't be bothered about another couple of hundred pounds to pay for the likes of WBT plugs. The manufacturer would know this aswell so I would be very surprised if this all came down to profit margins, but what the answer is I have no idea!
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

Indeed, Julian. But the pricing argument is that any £5k speaker cables should automatically come supplied with the best plugs that money can buy!

What we need to establish is exactly why the TQs don't... The fact that they don't (if it's for any reason other than optimising the termination), would put me off from buying them, simply because on speaker cables at that price, I'd be expecting them to come fitted with the best plugs, especially as I know, sonically, what a difference doing that makes.

The fact is, with £5k speaker cables, there should be more than enough margin available to supply diamond-encrusted plugs, never mind anything else... If you have to charge even more than that, for the cables to come fitted with the best plugs, then it could be argued that you're somewhat guilty of profiteering!!

Marco.
    Main System

MartinT Guest

Guys - we were talking about interconnects and the plugs that TQ use.

There is absolutely NO evidence that the 4mm z-plugs they use on their speaker cables are inferior in any way. In fact they make a very tight connection with the WBT connectors on my amp and speakers.

I'm Andrew.

For me its the arrogance of not explaining why they use cheap plugs. Where's the evidence that cheaper plugs are better, where's the evidence that more expensive plugs aere better. If i can see a co-herent explanation as to why the cheaper plugs are better or worse then fair enough. But to be simply told nothing is in my book purely arrogant. I await Martin's experiment with baited breath.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast