+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the Ayre CD CX-7e very sibilant?

Hello all,

Apropos the question on heating, I live in Bombay. So through the year, its open windows and a fan for cooling. Lately it has become cooler and drier, but the variation in temperature is not so much (humidity possibly yes - much lower this time of year).

I have attached not-so-good photos of my system. My speakers are normally pulled out whilst listening. You can see the disaster behind (sweeping under the carpet? you aint seen nothing!) the cabinet though. I had tried to direct the wires, but it all popped out again - possibly will use stronger tape to stick it on next time.

As far as the sound of the Ayre goes, I do like it. Moreover, my sense and sensibility missus snorts and says it sounds fine. Dynamics and detail are fine by me. 2D maybe, but you are talking to an erstwhile Naim owner (this system sounds like Naim without some of its compromises). The bass has not become softer (again answering one of the questions). In fact, it is better than ever (listened to Julian Bream- Concierto de Aranjuez and WOW!).

Its just the sibilance. Its with some CPs in a most horrible way (Brit pop) and others, since I started noticing it, it is there (I could have sworn it was not there when I listened to Sarah Vaughn - Sarah Vaughn the first time).

Thanks for your suggestions - I wouldnt know where I can get the circuit diagram of the Ayre (not with the manual I believe).

Vivek
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    As far as the sound of the Ayre goes, I do like it. Moreover, my sense and sensibility missus snorts and says it sounds fine. Dynamics and detail are fine by me. 2D maybe, but you are talking to an erstwhile Naim owner (this system sounds like Naim without some of its compromises).
    Vivek
    Ah - OK - that might help explain things.

As I said in my original post, we all have different tastes and requirements. I hate the Naim sound - especially the older more traditional Naim sound - flat, grainy, tonally-bleached, 2D. But lots of people love it, of course, for what it does well - pace rythm speed.

Carry on as you were ...
    Last edited by jandl100; 15-01-2009 at 17:08.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Stan,I've an Audio Note Dac Zero .No circuit diagram,do you have one? I'd be interested in any mods you could perform on it.PM to discuss if you wish.

Hi,

I have been busy last few weeks descending into the world of audiophilia that I may have sneered at a few years ago (ah, but I was so much older then!).

I did the following

a) Shifted a knob on the back of the Ayre from Measure to Listen. Nothing changed dramatically.

b) Tried a power conditioner (Shunyata Hydra 2) which had frankly, a dramatic improvement in sound quality overall, albeit not with a significant decrease in sibilance. What it did is make the vocals sound richer and the sound more relaxed. Note that Ayre recommends that you plug the unit straight into the wall and not use any conditioner.

c) Tried another CD player - a brand new Quad CDP-2. To start of, both sounded good and the Quad CDP-2 was a tad less sibilant. However, what it sacrificed is some degree of musical involvement. Less foot tapping, body swaying etc. (listened to Steely Dan (Katy Lied), The Blur (Park Life), Cure (Best of), Sarah Vaughn (Crazy and Mixed Up (a right title too!) and Mahler's 4th(Klemperer)). The Ayre had a lighter touch. May be I will check the Quad after it gets demoed a bit.

So those who google, rest easy - in the context of things, if you like Ayre, well, there is enough to like. I guess I need to look elsewhere. Time to google "room treatment sibilance" or "warm cables" maybe!

Thanks for everyone who participated and your suggestions.

Vivek

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12