+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 133 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Beresford Bushmaster DAC Reviews

I'm Craig.

Loving the reviews on the Stan dac, and thinking how at another cloth type shelter forum, praise like this would definitely bring forth accusations of shilling, not taking into account anyone's enthusiasm for a great piece of kit!

In fact, they (the moderators) even banned any reference to Beresford dacs!

Long may AOS live!

Guys, no need to snap at each other.

As for the price versus performance of the Bushmaster: it worried me tremendously where I should position the DAC in terms of price based on its performance. I realized very early on that a more appropriate price might have been £999.99. But I would have to add some boutique components, come up with a very expensive case, and have it sent in an engraved wooden crate. But after deducting the cost of those extras I still could not justify a £499.99 price.
    But if it would make a few people feel far happier to pay £499.99 or more for a DAC that sounds better than the Bushmaster then good luck finding that DAC. And please let the rest of us know the make and price afterwards.

I'm Graham.

Mine is languishing in a post office somewhere in Taipei... torture hearing everyone's comments knowing it is on its way. Looking forward to lining up the 7510, 7520 and 7530 for a side by side (by side). Will post my impressions.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I think the Bushmaster proves just how far DAC costs have come down in the last ten years. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that I suspect that £200 really is "Top End" for the basic technology now and paying vastly more NOW is basically buying a very fancy case, socketry and packaging as Stan has indicated. Bearing in mind so much is done on the chip itself these days, perhaps it's very short sighted for other manufacturers to attempt to short circuit these on-board parts and custom make their own, possibly inferior ones to justify the high costs?

I also wonder if the Bushmaster is really going to need fancy and expensive add-on power supplies too?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Not need, but Stan has already indicated a battery supply (not sold by him) will improve matters.

I'm Gary.

and that battery supply isn't expensive either.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Imagine sitting in the garden with your laptop and Bushmaster listening to headphones.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Or even a smartphone with a suitable lead.

I'm James.

its a cracker and no mistake stan! im now getting a click through my speakers when i change channels on my sky+box though, any ideas anyone?? havnt changed any settings since removing the caiman

No Idea about the channel switching clicks from your SKY box James. But the Bushmaster doesn't have a muting circuit so it won't suppress any decoder edge digits as the decoder switches from one encryption to another when you change channels.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 133 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast