+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 133 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Beresford Bushmaster DAC Reviews

I'm stu.

I would think jerry has had dozens of dacs so he should be in a pretty good position to judge.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm Simon.

Unfortunately Jerry suffers from a major case of emperors new clothes every time he gets anything new. Has he ever had anything new that wasn't a million times better than whatever he had previously? I'm not saying he doesn't genuinely feel like that each time, but it doesn't make him a compelling source of objective reviews, IMO.

I'm sure Stan's new dac is very good indeed and I look forward to hearing one soon.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Unfortunately Jerry suffers from a major case of emperors new clothes every time he gets anything new. Has he ever had anything new that wasn't a million times better than whatever he had previously? I'm not saying he doesn't genuinely feel like that each time, but it doesn't make him a compelling source of objective reviews, IMO.

I'm sure Stan's new dac is very good indeed and I look forward to hearing one soon.
    Frankly I think that is a tad rude Simon and amounts to thread crapping.
    Regards Neil

I'm gone.

Ah well, it's just the sort of stuff that Simon comes out with. He can't help it. ... "magic beans" anyone?

"Emperor's new clothes ... every time he gets something new."

"Has he ever had anything new that wasn't a million times better than whatever he had previously? "

Yes, sadly, loads of times.

Due to my box-swapping ailment, and now my reviewing for the Hifi Pig webzine, I get a LOT of gear passing thru my system. The forum barely gets to hear about a small fraction of it, because frankly most of it is a bit of a yawn or explicitly unpleasant in some way.

Yes, I do make a fuss about some gear - but that is because it is GOOD when compared to the vast majority of gear that I get to audition. And being a helpful and enthusiastic sort of a guy, I like to share good news, especially when it comes at a good price.
    _______

A lot more listening to the Bushmaster last night, still early days, of course, but it strikes me as being truly exceptional, regardless of cost.
    My thoughts at the moment are that all of Stan's outrageous pre-launch hype is justified!

The copious quantities of naturally presented detail, the spot-on amount of sibilance in vocals, the separation of instruments/voices from the recording acoustic ambience .... oh, and the bass - wow, very deep, controlled, powerful, vibrant. All aspects of the sound strike me as being of true excellence.
    I had been concerned about the passive output stage of the Bushmaster, and that it might dampen out the dynamics a bit as one seemed to do for the Neko D100 DAC that I recently reviewed, but that doesn't seem to be the case with my listening so far with the Bushmaster. But I haven't really stretched and challenged it with 'big' music yet.

I know StanDACs - they do need to run in - but my experience previously is that they just get better and better. I can't wait! - I've left it running overnight - will be a few hours before the wife gets up and I can listen again thru speakers, but the headphone output will soon be sampled. That could be interesting as I've only recently finished a review for Hifi Pig of a pair of rather nice headphone amps, and their performance is fresh in my memory.

Nice one, Stan - you have excelled yourself yet again.
    Last edited by jandl100; 08-06-2012 at 07:38.

MartinT Guest

Mine has been left running and I've already given my initial thoughts in another thread. To recap: it's that unusual combination of detailed but not harsh which impresses. Jerry has it spot-on about sibilance: it's a sign of a great product when sibilance is not accentuated and it's a particular bete noire of mine. The soundstage is well focussed and detail is spread throughout width and depth.

Sound from both optical (Sky HD) and co-ax (Blu-ray and Logitech Touch) is excellent and the switching works well, although there are tiny switching noises through the system when the volume is left high, confirming the capacitor-less direct coupling.

Bass is a revelation, quite staggering when I was playing Avatar last night with its transient thumps and huge waves of deep bass.

The Bushmaster is already a decided step above the performance level of my previous DAC.

My baseline comparison: highly modified Caiman with Gator, Elna Silmic II caps and Paul Hynes PSU internal and external modules running at 16V.

I'm Werner.

Jerry,

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Stereo focus and fine detail is a step-up from what I have heard before - from StanDACs or anything else for that matter.
    is “anything else” meant to be relative to the Bushmaster’s price category or is it intended absolute? Does this “anything else” also include the performance and sonic qualities of DACs like the Weiss DAC2 for example?

I’m sure the “Bushmaster” offers excellent performance in his price range, but I would be cautious with a wording like “anything else”.

Werner.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm gone.

Ah, we are off again, are we, Werner?

"Anything else" means exactly that.

OK, to keep things explicit, herewith a list of DACs and CDPs I have owned or am familar with ... in no particular order .... well, some of them anyway!

Young DAC, RA Opus 21, RA CD50, Theta DSP Pro GenV, Burmester CD006, Ayre CX-7E, MF A5 (the best of many MFs), Audiolab 8200 & MDAC, TAG DAC20, AVI LS, a passle of Beresfords, Neko D100, Lampizator Level4, Arcam CD23 (Ring DAC), DPA PDM2, Krell 280CD & KPS-25c, EE Minimax, Linn Unidisk SC, Perpetual Technology tower, Quad CDP2, EAD 1000/3, Wadia 830, Opera Droplet 3.1, Marantz SA-KI Pearl, various Meridians ... and the rest!

They all sound different and likes/dislikes will be a matter of personal taste - but imho the Bushmaster is up there with the best of them.
    Last edited by jandl100; 08-06-2012 at 08:55.

I'm Lee.

Ah, we are off again, are we, Werner?

"Anything else" means exactly that.
    I think it's a valid point Jerry, but just to clarify, you did say:

Stereo focus and fine detail is a step-up from what I have heard before - from StanDACs or anything else for that matter.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm gone.

Fair enough - I've extended my post #17 above.

I'm Rich.

Thanks for your initial impressions Jerry, they are important to those of us haven't been able to afford this upgrade quite yet.

It was the favourable reviews i read on this site of Stan's other DACs which led me to purchase one in the first place and these reviews came from a variety of members who didnt always agree on other matters so I knew they were more than shills for Stan's products.

Keep the opinions coming, it is important that you do.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 133 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast