+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A2 Amps

I'm Clark.

Default A2 Amps

I've been collecting parts for some amps using 45 triodes but yesterday heard an A2 amp using high mu transmitting triodes.

I was blown away by the capability of what was a circa 10W single ended amp. As well as having a great midrange and top, the bass extension and clarity was exceptional.

I am now tempted to try this approach but I fear it will be outside my comfort zone.

Has anyone here heard or have experience of A2 operation for amps?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes, Nick (Lurcher) has lots of experience with A2 amps. He uses a 211 A2 he built himself. There are several folks with experience of this over on Audio-Talk, might pay to join and ask for advice there. They will be only too happy to help.

I'm Nick.

I must rebuild that 100th SET again some time :-)

Just to avoid confusion having read that, not the one hundredth single ended amp I have made, but the breadboard I did some time ago using EIMAC 100TH high µ triode.
    Nick.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye that was a good'un Nick.

I'm Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Yes, Nick (Lurcher) has lots of experience with A2 amps. He uses a 211 A2 he built himself. There are several folks with experience of this over on Audio-Talk, might pay to join and ask for advice there. They will be only too happy to help.
    I've registered with Audio-Talk previously but never received a confirmation email, so have never been able to log in. I tried a little earlier but it states my email is in use by another account?

I'm Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
    I must rebuild that 100th SET again some time :-)

Just to avoid confusion having read that, not the one hundredth single ended amp I have made, but the breadboard I did some time ago using EIMAC 100TH high µ triode.
    I was hoping to use Eimac 35T or 35TG triodes, possibly driven by a 45 if feasable for A2 configuration. I assume it would be possible to configure the grid wiring to allow either to be used.

The (stereo) amp I heard used 811 output valves and seemed to give the best attributes from valve and SS in one package.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by BTH K10A View Post
    I've registered with Audio-Talk previously but never received a confirmation email, so have never been able to log in. I tried a little earlier but it states my email is in use by another account?
    Just get in touch with Nick. It's his forum.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by BTH K10A View Post
    I was hoping to use Eimac 35T or 35TG triodes, possibly driven by a 45 if feasable for A2 configuration. I assume it would be possible to configure the grid wiring to allow either to be used.

The (stereo) amp I heard used 811 output valves and seemed to give the best attributes from valve and SS in one package.
    Well, looking at the 35T curves, 50ma @ 800v with the grid at 0v would work. But the only problem I can see is the plate resistance looks like 25k or more, that would need a output TX that would be close on unwindeable with any hope of maintaining HF response.

And not wanting to be entirely negative, but a 45 would work through a interstage, but it would not be my choice, I have found that interstage coupled A2 drive never works as well as some would suggest, you may get away with a valve like the 35T that needs so little grid swing, but I find a cathode follower with a high gm triode or pentode and a active or choke load works much much better.

Let me know your user name on AT and I will take a look at whats gone wrong.
    Nick.

I'm Nick.

Found a picture of the 100th amp

Nick.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by lurcher View Post
    Found a picture of the 100th amp

And not something you want to be hovering over with a cup of tea!
    Great pick Nick.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast