+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New vinyl -disappointing??

I'm Grant.

Ive had the odd one with that. It's a press fault but replacing it should solve it. Poor checking by manufacturer. They usually play but as u say you sometimes hear it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I have just been playing Pink Floyd The Wall and side 3 has several small bumps like smooth lumps in the vinyl.

Although I was enjoying myself, at a critical quiet point I get a loudish thump as the needle rides this bump over about 8 grooves. It does spoil the enjoyment because Im listening for the quiet speech detail to be greeted with a pressing flaw. I wouldnt take it back to a supermarket as how would I even know the next copy isnt worse.

Its on heavyweight vinyl which Ive read is a marketing gimmick anyway

This is the thing with the vinyl revival in that nobody really dwells on the flaws with the medium. Am I really going to Pay £25 per time to relive some of these flaws?
    I have no intention of buying music on new vinyl. I enjoy older pressings in my collection and a few second hand ones I buy , and am content with other mediums for new stuff etc
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm paul.

Had one turn up and it looked like someone had been at it with a hammer, sent it back and another arrived much the same. Got a refund.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

montesquieu Guest

I'm currently subscribing to the DeAgostini jazz set in an effort to improve my jazz education. These are 180g reissues of pretty decent quality.

So far (40 or so albums in, about halfway) I've had to return three for pressing faults though on one occasion I gave up asking for a decent copy after getting three duff copies of the same record.

There may well be a few more bad pressings that I haven't picked up, as a modest percentage aren't to my taste at all, so I haven't necessarily got to the end of them (free jazz on the whole I just can't abide, and I'm not the biggest fan of some big band stuff, despite having played bass in a big band in my youth).

On the whole this isn't far off the sort of failure rate I remember when buying records back in 70s and 80s - though I always had/have a lot more issues with classical records than with rock/blues/jazz as in general the dynamic range required is greater and there are usually more quiet bits for noise or other damage to intrude into.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 09-11-2017 at 21:29.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by indus View Post
    Hi there

I wonder if anybody has opinions on this?

I recently bought a tt to mainly listen to a form of dance music that was made originally about 1998- 2004. It is called jungle/ drum n bass. As the latter title suggests bass is a major part of the music style.

Anyway even though my tech is near standard when I played some of these original records they sounded great, lots of low kicking bass, just like I remembered from my raving days.

So I thought I'd buy some of the newer stuff ie produced within the last few years. I bought 7 records all from the same record label. As soon as I played it I found it sounded a little flat and there wasn't that tight low bass that the genre is known for. Some records almost had a compressed/mp3 sound to them.

Now it could be the artists/label didn't want that low sub bass in their recordings but that somehow seems unlikely as to an extent it defines the style of music. The records also seemed of poorer quality/finish than my original records ie one had rough/sharp/serrated edges and the spindle holes are sometimes so tight I can barely get the record to fit on.

Is all 'new' vinyl like this?
    Drum & Bass has simply changed?! What you'd expect 20 years really....... I still listen (sometimes anyway) to a few of my early 90s Jungle 12's, if anything the earlier stuff sounds rougher than the later more tech influenced sound.

I'm Adam.

ECM do a fantastic job of mastering and cutting their new titles for vinyl release. So my answer to the original post would be some are utterly fantastic and some are meh! I also purchased a few new release jazz things and they honestly feel like the vinyl is an afterthought to tick that box...
    New vinyl releases are relatively very expensive. I was sort of interested in checking the new Beck
    Lp on vinyl, but apart from the material being too upbeat pop, prefer him depressed, it's so flipping expensive!!
    £27 is way past my station for a new release. I think the record companies are taking the piss as they do limited runs and know in a year they will be all over discogs for ££.
    On the other end of the spectrum premium new vinyl reissues can be possibly the best things I've ever heard!
    The Bill Evans trio Sunday night at the village vanguard is in this bracket.
    Unfortunately these sort of titles sell out quickly and then command stupid prices.
    My point is they can be and should be great..it's lazy if they are not.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Adam.

Btw I have purchased premium £50+ MFSL sealed records and Music Matters sealed titles
    And on numerous occasions have had pressing faults!
    And as Tom said the replacement copy also had faults. So it can be a lottery
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Tony.

In the reggae genre represses seem to have improved considerably, especially since the Japanese have gotten involved.

There is a Japanese company called Dub Store Records who are reissuing long out of print stuff using the original masters. The sound quality is fantastic.

There is also a few other labels such as Diggikiller in NY that have followed suit and again their vinyl is amazing and the cost to buy the originals of these would be hefty.

Finally, even Music on Vinyl who have reissued some of the Trojan catalogue have done a good job and as I have the originals I have been able to compare them and they're very good.

A label called Yep Roc in the states has started to reissue some of the Studio One stuff and again this is good but I've found that some of their pressings have faults including warps and the odd click.

I'd still rather buy originals to complete my collection but the prices are a complete joke these days and luckily I only have few gaps which some of these reissues have filled....
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by indus View Post
    Is all 'new' vinyl like this?
    No mate, it definitely is not. I listen mainly to electronic music and some though not all, is absolutely stunning with a serious low bass.

I'm Andrew.

I shall deal with the main thrust later. I can't get past how d&b apparently ended in '04 at the moment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast