+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to go abut setting VTA?

I'm Alex.

Default How to go abut setting VTA?

Recent discussions prompted me to do some more reading on VTA and the effects it can have on the sound quality. What I took away from my brief study is the conclusion that optimal VTA can vary from LP to LP. But for each particular LP, optimal VTA can only be determined empirically, that is to say, by LISTENING.

Here is where I get confused -- if I am to determine an optimal VTA by listening, that means that I would have to play the record and listen to it, stop the playback, modify the VTA, play the record again and listen to the effects new VTA brought, then stop the playback, readjust the VTA and so on. Rinse, repeat.

So the above exercise means that I'll be in the short period dragging the stylus repeatedly over the same grooves, as I'm fishing for the best results. So where's the problem? Well, from what I've learned about the vinyl playback, each time the stylus is tracking the grooves, the friction generates fairly high heat. And since the vinyl is pretty susceptible to high temperatures, repeat friction may permanently alter and even damage the grooves. That's why it is recommended to wait at the minimum one hour before replaying the same side of an LP.

This fishing-for-results approach to VTA setting seems to put the grooves at risk. Especially if we're talking some rare, valuable pressing. So how do you guys go about mitigating this risk of damaging your grooves while playing with VTA?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm stuart.

Set it and forget it.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Pete Riggle
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

With all arms I set up the VTA so the arm tube is parallel with the record surface. Then I will play around with the VTF (starting with say 0.25g below the manufacturer's maximum recommended value, and adjust in small increments around that). Having found the best VTF to my ears, I then check the VTA. Usually it won't have changed from the arm being parallel with the record, but if it has, then it is restored so the arm is parallel.

With an arm which does allows user adjustment of VTA whilst the record is being played, then this parameter is adjusted using a long record track (usually some classical music). Again in most cases I find that I end up with the VTA being such that the arm is parallel to the record. I certainly don't replay the same track repeatedly over and over again. I don't look at the stylus cantilever, nor do I use a USB microscope to measure the SRA; for some cartridges such as the Decca, there is no cantilever to see!

Once set up it is left set - I certainly don't mess around changing things depending on the thickness (weight) of the record being played.
    Barry

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    With all arms I set up the VTA so the arm tube is parallel with the record surface. Then I will play around with the VTF (starting with say 0.25g below the manufacturer's maximum recommended value, and adjust in small increments around that). Having found the best VTF to my ears, I then check the VTA. Usually it won't have changed from the arm being parallel with the record, but if it has, then it is restored so the arm is parallel.

With an arm which does allows user adjustment of VTA whilst the record is being played, then this parameter is adjusted using a long record track (usually some classical music). Again in most cases I find that I end up with the VTA being such that the arm is parallel to the record. I certainly don't replay the same track repeatedly over and over again. I don't look at the stylus cantilever, nor do I use a USB microscope to measure the SRA; for some cartridges such as the Decca, there is no cantilever to see!

Once set up it is left set - I certainly don't mess around changing things depending on the thickness (weight) of the record being played.
    This totally makes sense. Providing, of course, that we subscribe to the 'set it and forget it' mantra. But as far as I'm aware, there are people who prefer to tweak VTA for each and every LP they play. In which case, they'd be forced to keep replaying the same grooves over and over until they reach satisfactory sound.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm jamie.

yeah but unless you vta 'on the fly' thats insane!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Grant.

I have et a few who have a changed vta to thickness of record. they have a chart and it is just a quick change. You need a fancy arm I guess. Ive never altered my sme since I got it. It always looks close enough as not to be an issue(for me)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    yeah but unless you vta 'on the fly' thats insane!
    Well lets face it. Nobody is obliged to be right in the head to be here!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm jamie.

i use feeler gauges!
    thats how round the twist iam am!!!!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread