Hi there

I wonder if anybody has opinions on this?

I recently bought a tt to mainly listen to a form of dance music that was made originally about 1998- 2004. It is called jungle/ drum n bass. As the latter title suggests bass is a major part of the music style.

Anyway even though my tech is near standard when I played some of these original records they sounded great, lots of low kicking bass, just like I remembered from my raving days.

So I thought I'd buy some of the newer stuff ie produced within the last few years. I bought 7 records all from the same record label. As soon as I played it I found it sounded a little flat and there wasn't that tight low bass that the genre is known for. Some records almost had a compressed/mp3 sound to them.

Now it could be the artists/label didn't want that low sub bass in their recordings but that somehow seems unlikely as to an extent it defines the style of music. The records also seemed of poorer quality/finish than my original records ie one had rough/sharp/serrated edges and the spindle holes are sometimes so tight I can barely get the record to fit on.

Is all 'new' vinyl like this?