+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New vinyl -disappointing??

I'm david.

Default New vinyl -disappointing??

Hi there

I wonder if anybody has opinions on this?

I recently bought a tt to mainly listen to a form of dance music that was made originally about 1998- 2004. It is called jungle/ drum n bass. As the latter title suggests bass is a major part of the music style.

Anyway even though my tech is near standard when I played some of these original records they sounded great, lots of low kicking bass, just like I remembered from my raving days.

So I thought I'd buy some of the newer stuff ie produced within the last few years. I bought 7 records all from the same record label. As soon as I played it I found it sounded a little flat and there wasn't that tight low bass that the genre is known for. Some records almost had a compressed/mp3 sound to them.

Now it could be the artists/label didn't want that low sub bass in their recordings but that somehow seems unlikely as to an extent it defines the style of music. The records also seemed of poorer quality/finish than my original records ie one had rough/sharp/serrated edges and the spindle holes are sometimes so tight I can barely get the record to fit on.

Is all 'new' vinyl like this?
    System:

SL1210 > Whest PS 3.0RDT> Audio Research LS17 pre> Lyngdorf RP1 room correction> Lyngdorf sda 2175 > Monitor Audio Platinum 300 speakers

I'm ILOB.

Its a mixed bag to be honest some records can be excellent and some just dull
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by indus View Post
    Is all 'new' vinyl like this?
    No, I've actually been really pleased by the quality of some of my recent purchases (newly released music).

But I don't listen to dance music or drum and bass.
    Account Deleted

I'm Andrew.

its a very mixed bag. Dont buy any picture disc's or coloured vinyl as I've found this has a huge impact on replay quality. I love iron maiden, but, I'd wish they'd stop trying to produce new "collectable" vinyl and just stick to the good old black stuff. There is even an argument that says vinyl would sound better still if it wasn't coloured by cobalt black which is mildly magnetic, thus introducing more noise into the cartridge.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Hi david,

What label did you buy from and what were the tracks?

I've bought a few newer D&B tracks,but mostly buy the old stuff.The latest i've bought has been from Astrophonica and paradox music.No problem with the quality from these labels imo,loverly deep clean bass and smooth clear top end.Definitely not mp3 quality
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm david.

Thanks guys.

Darren, the label is Jungle Cakes and the tunes are mainly by Ed Solo and Deekline. Tunes are Champion lover, King of the Bongo, Man down, Hail up the Jungle, Sugar me.

So this is more Jungle than DnB or dubstep. When I compare this to older stuff I have like Urban Shakedown (some justice 95), Peter Bouncer (I'm a junglist), Deep Blue (the helicopter tune) they sound a world apart.

The actual new music is good but the recording just lacks life but especially the bass that just isn't there like the older tunes.

Thanks
    System:

SL1210 > Whest PS 3.0RDT> Audio Research LS17 pre> Lyngdorf RP1 room correction> Lyngdorf sda 2175 > Monitor Audio Platinum 300 speakers

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Well tracks going back that far would have been made with hardware rather than totally using software so maybe that has something to do with it,i'm not sure.

I don't know the label or tracks you mention,maybe try a different label and artists for a comparison,it just may be that lables/artist 'sound'

Tracks from the 90's definitely do sound different to todays tracks but there was more anologue equipment being used then.

Like i said tracks i've bought have been fine so far,i think it may be a case of hit and miss regarding quality!!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Steve.

I had the pleasure to compare my CD version of Ray Lamontagne's Till the sun turns black the the vinyl album.
    Stunningly well done on both formats - really refreshing to hear what can be achieved on modern stuff...
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Dont buy any picture disc's or coloured vinyl as I've found this has a huge impact on replay quality.
    I defo agree with this. I always avoid picture discs if possible as I find them much more noisy than the traditional black version.

Dance records have been a mixed bag for me.

I have been buying dance vinyl since 1995, got about 2,500 now. Some vinyl would be light and flimsy and spindle off center, others pretty good

Not buying as many recently as more have moved over to "brickwalled" download only shi*e

even paying the extra for WAV files makes no difference as the distortion is sooooooo bad.

With tunes released on both formats the vinyl version I find has not had it's volume levels pushed so high and sounds better. Even when playing in the car iPod > which has been converted to a digital WAV > when the vinyl was most prob cut off the WAV file anyways

I'm Martin.

I've not bought a new LP in years but one of my brothers bought me The Stone Roses first album for Christmas. It is on red vinyl and is 'noisy'. Not to the extent that it is unlistenable but if it had been my own money I would have taken it back. I don't know what it cost, I'm guessing at least £15, but it sounds a lot worse than the 60 or so 1970s LPs I have bought recently at £1 each. After a clean almost all of them are CD quiet.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast