+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Computers: Interesting Alternative Anitvirus

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not sure what you're getting at.

Support in what way and for what? Xyvos requires no maintenance, updates or updating, that's the point.

It may be that there is a business/professional iteration of Xyvos.

Why dismiss out of hand something untried that you have no experience of and seemingly know nothing about?
    I think we're talking at cross purposes. I'll try and expand on what I said:

With my business hat on, as Director of IT for my organisation, I don't buy any software product that doesn't come with support. The reason being that we have a multitude of different machines in use, any of which can and often does exhibit strange issues on occasion depending on the mix of applications and usage. It's amazing what can catch machines out. We therefore need an escalation route in order to resolve issues quickly, including remote access by the software vendor if necessary. The other issue that's not well understood by end users is that software must have a central update management system, which collects new updates and issues them to all the client machines. This prevents some 300 machines all trying to update their AV and other software directly, clogging up our internet bandwidth.

With my home user hat on, none of these things matter. I can use MSE with confidence and could switch to something else at a moment's notice. If things go wrong, then there's only me to blame and me to resolve it.

I hope that clarifies?

I'm Stu.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    After trying this on my laptop has slowed a lot and even after going back to AVG it still pretty slow so will have to do a system maintainence on it and if no luck take it for repair must admit wish | never bothered. It might be down to some other reason but happened when I downloaded this and used the spyware to remove some files so could be some kind of virus that I did not know was in my system
    Pleased it wasn't just me. It had to be the XYVOS software as removing it on BOTH machines cured the problem.
    Did I do anything wrong? Dunno, i downloaded it, removed Avast, ran c cleaner, installed XYVOs according to the instructions, wished i hadn't bothered, removed it, had a computer that worked again.
    Hifi Pig snoofling out what's hot in hifi.

I'm Paul.

Use Avast antivirus and Commodo Firewall. Both are free as stand alone programmes. If you want each companies complete protection software suite you have to pay. All works fine together.

Paul.

I'm ILOB.

Quote Originally Posted by stupinder View Post
    Pleased it wasn't just me. It had to be the XYVOS software as removing it on BOTH machines cured the problem.
    Did I do anything wrong? Dunno, i downloaded it, removed Avast, ran c cleaner, installed XYVOs according to the instructions, wished i hadn't bothered, removed it, had a computer that worked again.
    Yes took me a good bit of time to sort out the issues wished I did not bother either
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Geoff.

Strange that a few of you have had seemingly negative experiences with Xyvos. I have it on two computers and it runs faultlessly, A couple of my friends report their satisfaction too. The problem may have been an installation glitch or maybe a clash with remnants of previous AV software.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345