+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The £4 (£2) Interconnect That Saw Off A £500 Set.

I'm Craig.

There is nothing on them at all, but when I have a break from trying to lift up all the glued to the floor vinyl tiles in my kitchen, and free myself from being stuck to the floor thanks to the glue residue, (any suggestions for a solvent to remove this?) I will take a pic and upload it.......That of course after I finish on air.........A mans work and all that!

I'm Brian.

Thanks Craig, I'm in the middle of decorating myself. Very tempting to crack open a couple of tinnies and sit out in the sun in the back garden
    Brian.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Just going to say - and I think this artifact has been measured as well - the livelier nature of an inexpensive interconnect can often be attributed to increased "hash" in the sound. many domestic audio systems with underpowered passive speakers are laid back as it is, and a livelier component can sometimes appear to be "better" even though it's possible distortion causing this - how do you think Naim survived so well in their CB era especially? All distortion of the odd order kind adding to the fun, combined with crude band-limiting filters before the 72 came along..

Just a thought. The Mark Grant HD cables, given a little time to sort themselves out, seem to be bright and clear (certainly the HD1500 ones) but without obvious smear or splatter compared to cheaper wires.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Just going to say - and I think this artifact has been measured as well - the livelier nature of an inexpensive interconnect can often be attributed to increased "hash" in the sound. many domestic audio systems with underpowered passive speakers are laid back as it is, and a livelier component can sometimes appear to be "better" even though it's possible distortion causing this - how do you think Naim survived so well in their CB era especially? All distortion of the odd order kind adding to the fun, combined with crude band-limiting filters before the 72 came along..

Just a thought. The Mark Grant HD cables, given a little time to sort themselves out, seem to be bright and clear (certainly the HD1500 ones) but without obvious smear or splatter compared to cheaper wires.
    You may well be right.

Some (not me!) might say there is no difference in any ic!....Just throwing the cat amonst the pigeons!!

Joking aside, having sat and listened last night, I thought the bass was a bit light, but discounted that thought when I played some different music, and it was there again.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    Some (not me!) might say there is no difference in any ic!....Just throwing the cat amonst the pigeons!!

Joking aside, having sat and listened last night, I thought the bass was a bit light, but discounted that thought when I played some different music, and it was there again.
    I've been in a row on HDD/AVI forum because of this. There are a few very fixed-attitude characters that defend the non-existance of sonic differences in competently designed cables to their dying breath, yet I've had so many comments over the years from clients who, for example, got the direction wrong, or in a notable case with some then unmarked Chord Solid IC's, were able to hear quite distinct "impressions" which closely matched each other.

It's a fascinating thing comparing the mark Grant HD1500's with my home made Klotz AC110 cables. The frequency extremes are certainly differently presented, not hugely different, but enough to just tell with my limited stereos and hearing. The Klotz has incredible bass IMO, but the MG's seem a touch clearer on modern mixes using sampled hi-hat, hand claps and cymbals. It's not huge, but enough to notice over time when you're relaxing with the music..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Gary.

Spot on Gaz!

I would if I could remember what the header was.........

EDIT> Haven't found THAT thread yet Gaz, what I did find though is you saying the NVA Sound Cord and Silver High Breed cables the best you have ever tried!
    Never owned the High Breeds sorry Craig!

The NVA I had was the digital coax you sold me (or did we do a trade for a PSU or summit?)
    It was the best I'd heard until I got the Supra Trico with silver WBT plugs...

Good cables good cable, happy to say I'm not worrying about all that stuff now

*EDIT*
    This the chappie Craig?
    http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread...t=interconnect

(My Google-fu is strong )
    Last edited by Gazjam; 23-05-2012 at 15:19.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Never owned the High Breeds sorry Craig!

The NVA I had was the digital coax you sold me (or did we do a trade for a PSU or summit?)
    It was the best I'd heard until I got the Supra Trico with silver WBT plugs...

Good cables good cable, happy to say I'm not worrying about all that stuff now

*EDIT*
    This the chappie Craig?
    http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread...t=interconnect

(My Google-fu is strong )
    Yep! That is the one, I notice my memory of what I sold was a bit iffy....I thought I had flogged the BR's, it seems I was Awaiting them, but had sold the Nordost's!

Just taken 2 pics, but despite hooking up the phone to the lappy, the damn pics are nowhere to be found!! Bugger! Need to go and pull dining suite from garage in readiness for collection, so back later, hopefully with piccys!

I'm Craig.

Ok....the pix are there on my BB, I connect it to the lappy, tell it to import the pix from phone to lappy, it seems to be doing it, after all Iv'e done it many times, but then when I look, it isn't there!

And before any smart arse says it's me...............!!!!!!!!!

I'm Gary.

Should have bought an Android......
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Mark.

Ok....the pix are there on my BB, I connect it to the lappy, tell it to import the pix from phone to lappy, it seems to be doing it, after all Iv'e done it many times, but then when I look, it isn't there!

And before any smart arse says it's me...............!!!!!!!!!
    On an Android phone I email the pictures to myself, less faff than plugging wires in to a computer and if wi-fi is connected it is almost instant.
    If you email them to your gmail account they are then stored in google as a backup that is easily searchable

can those BB things email pictures

Should have bought an Android..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast