+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 220v tube amps from China

I'm Ian.

Default 220v tube amps from China

Just wondering if anyone has run into reliability issues or towering infernos using any of the tube amps, headphone amps or tube buffers from China. Despite the descriptions generally stating 220-240v, a zoom in on the back of the amp usually shows "220v" written beside the mains socket.

I must admit I'm quite tempted by some of these, but not if they're going to run so hot they need a fan blowing on them, or they're guaranteed to burn out within a year.

In the same kind of price range, there's other stuff like the Mr Nixie mini tube amp, made in Germany and powered by by what looks to be a little ac/dc smps. Safe and EU approved no doubt, but not as sexy looking as the Chinese amps. Also the Carot One Ernestolo. Again, it won't burn your house down, but it's unimpressively teensy weensy and cute.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

A few on here have had hard luck stories unfortunately.

All you need is a Variac or bucking transformer to lower the UK voltage which averages 240V to 220V
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Ian.

I kind of guessed that would be the case. Factor in shipping and variac and the better looking Chinese amps perhaps aren't that big a saving over the cheaper western built gear. Plus, if the parts used are ok, but the way they've been put together isn't up to standard, maybe the potential lack of reliabilty isn't worth saving a little money initially.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

You don't need a variac, a bucking transformer would be much cheaper.

You'd need some kind of 18V or 22V transformer that has the same secondary current as the amplifier draws. So if the amp draws 1Amp then a 25VA transformer will be sufficient
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    You don't need a variac, a bucking transformer would be much cheaper.

You'd need some kind of 18V or 22V transformer that has the same secondary current as the amplifier draws. So if the amp draws 1Amp then a 25VA transformer will be sufficient
    OK, I'll do a bit of Googling about that. Being more of a plug it in and use it kinda guy, rather than a tweaker, what you said mostly went over my head. But thanks for the info.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

This might be of help Ian.
    Barry

I'm Yiangos.

Personally never had any experience with Chinese amps but i've heard lots of stories of not only reliability issues but also of valves next to impossible to obtain if one fails.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Ian,

Quote Originally Posted by Giubanix View Post
    OK, I'll do a bit of Googling about that.
    Also use the search facility here, as there have been a number of discussions on this already

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    This might be of help Ian.
    Thanks for the link.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

If you do some research you can end up with a very good Chinese amp. Having tried several in the past, some are built to high standards. Probably the best I've had in that respect was the Mr Liang 845 SE, 50kg of battleship build for a ridiculous price at the time. Very good sounding too. You can still import one from them directly, from here-

http://www.lsyx.com/en/index.asp

I know someone who imported one last year for £750 including shipping, an absolute bargain for a 300b driven 845 output single ended amp. I once demoed mine against 4 grands worth of Unison Research 845, and it walked all over it.

No worries with the mains trannies on these, they are properly specced, and the output trannies are made by Liang in-house and are excellent quality.

The only downside with these amps are their physical size and weight, you need to have room and a strong back to lift one!

You can read a review here-

http://www.affordableaudio.org/aa2010-09.pdf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast