+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cable Talk 3

I'm Paul.

I did add the "IMHO"

As I added (so we can get the context right), there are many cables that provide lower distortion (and lower impedance) but essentially, the LCR characteristics of Talk3 are very good indeed.

Sure, there are plenty of more expensive and more refined cables, but many are very expensive, and it could be argued that when you reach a certain price-point, money would perhaps be wiser directed at the kit, as a change of TT cartridge for example often yields FAR greater sound improvements than swapping out a very good cable for an excellent cable....IMHO

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Effem View Post
    .... but it was Jerry's comments about this same cable ousting a pair of Acoustic Zen Satori cables from his own system that actually piqued my interest.

.... My initial perception of the sound was a bright forward presentation with a disjointed indistinct low bass in the background, out of balance with the rest of the music. Treble was verging on having a stinging quality with sibilance clearly evident on some recordings and bad recordings sounded really bad, while good recordings just didn't quite cut the mustard with me. .....

....Will I follow Jerry's lead by turfing out my resident Tellurium Blacks? Absolutely not.
    Bloody hell, Frank! A real demolition job!

These Talk 3 cables sound absolutely fabulous in my humble system. Easily the best I have heard, although I've not heard the Tellurium Black -- yet!

I can't even begin to get me head around the differences in our perceptions!
    Last edited by jandl100; 20-05-2012 at 07:38.

I'm Tom.

It is strange indeed Jerry because we are not usually that far apart in our sonic perceptions Maybe your set had some running hours on them?

As for a "demolition job" old fruit, I had written that they have improved over time and when time permits I may run them some more, the same as my TQ Blacks didn't exactly float my boat straight out of the packet

I would have made my feelings very plain if I didn't like them at all

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Effem View Post
    I would have made my feelings very plain if I didn't like them at all
    I'm not sure you can get more plain than what you posted, Frank!

I don't know if the demo pair of Talk3 that Paul brought round had any hours on them. But the pair I subsequently bought were defo straight off the reel, I think, and I wasn't in any way disappointed with them when I plumbed 'em in.

Must admit I am tempted to invest in a pair of Tellurium Blacks - the ebay seller at the lowest price is offering full money back.

Maybe it's just that the Tellurium Black is superb at £280 and the Talk3 is superb at £65 - priced at 3m pairs.
    .... but my £700 rrp Acoustic Zen Satori cables were punted into the weeds in no uncertain terms by the Talk3. Very strange.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I wonder what magical substance is in these tellurium wires to make them so much "better?"
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm gone.

B*ggered if I know.

What made me perceive that the Talk3 was so much better than my old Acoustic Zen cables? - it certainly wasn't expectation bias, as I was convinced the Talk3 wouldn't be as good. Maybe it was my wallet that convinced me!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Ten years ago, would you have bought the identical stuff (with grey/cream outer jacket) when it was Theatre 2.1 at £1-50 a metre? Bloody Sevenoaks were selling QED Micro by the van-load back then because it was small because that's what the laydeez liked and any proper speaker wire was too thick
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Paul.

There was zero running hours on the Talk3 when I brought them to Jerrys. Being an engineer, I hold the view that cables don't burn in, our ears and brain do as they get accustomed to subtle changes in sound.

There is no magic fairy dust that makes any speaker cable sound good. Its very very simple. The lower the distortion and impedance, the more integrity the signal will retain and in theory the better the sound. "Better" is a very very subjective term. people with bright systems might prefer a cable with loads of capacitance that rolls off the top end, it will sound "better" to them, yet it is inferior in that it won't preserve the signal as well.

Speaker cables are definitely system dependant, more specifically amp and speaker dependant, and as I've already indicated, all they are are part of a circuit. Change the value of the capacitors in a circuit, or circuit impedance and you'll change the sound. Some amps need high inductance (NVA and Naim spring to mind) whilst others most definitely suffer if capacitance is added to the output stage.

Cost is no indication of how a cable will sound. It may be an indication of R&D and clever (expensive) geometries which may or may not extract more detail, but many speaker designers (notably Alan Shaw of Harbeth) will tell you that low impedance and low capacitance are all that matters. I'm a little more open minded as what sounds right to one person in their own system is not necessarily what measures well, its far more subjective and a matter of personal taste. If we're after fidelity though, what measures well has to be important.

I'm Neil.

Acoustic Zen cables in my experience are very system dependant, working well in some, sounding very average in others and in some sounding terrible.
    Regards Neil

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

Maybe it's just that the Tellurium Black is superb at £280 and the Talk3 is superb at £65
    That sums up the debate very well Jerry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast