+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WTD - tatty pair of EPOS ES14's as donors

I'm Ian.

Default WTD - tatty pair of EPOS ES14's as donors

Hi,
    Have a pair of very early ER14's with dodgy tweeters. So, looking for a pair of tatty ES14 MK1's to use as tweeter donors. State of Main drivers and cabinet unimportant.

Anyone got a pair in there attic/cellar/garage that might fit the bill and help resurrect a classic?

Cheers

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

So I'm assuming you are looking for a pair of tweeters then?

While I most likely don't have a pair, if you list the make & model of the tweeters I'll keep my eyes open for you

Don't restrict your options
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Ian.

Default Tweeters!

Sorry for the delayed reply ..... the sun came out!

The tweeters are, sadly, bespoke to the ES14's, designed and manufactured by Epos initially and then, I believe Monitor Audio, who bought the brand. So, they're not easy to replace. Lockwood audio have none and they bought all the EPOS spares when the brand was bought by Creek.

So, I really need a donor pair of speakers which have other problems - tatty cabinet, damaged drive units, vile colour ......

Otherwise, Wilmslow audio have found some tweeters that might fit, so I might try these.

Thanks for the offer of help.

Cheers

Ok, what you need then is a pair of tweeters with the correct impedance to match the originals & the right size mounting plate...

As the speakers are two way & just about every dome tweeter has a resonance of somewhere about 1KHz you just need a pair of tweeters that fit the above bill & have high enough sensitivity.

If you find replacements that are more sensitive then you just need to slug the thing with resistors to lower the output.

In all honesty it's as simple as that

So if you really want to get them playing music again I think I may well have given you vastly more possibilities to choose from.

Here's hoping
    Bests, Mark

I'm John.

I can see I'm going to make myself unpopular here but to be correct you need not just to match the nominal impedance but also, if possible, the impedance curve.
    Nominal impedance as given by a manufacturer doesn't mean an awful lot tbh.
    I've fecked a few speakers by not knowing the working impedance of a driver and its curve before replacing it with just something of the same sheet spec.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

It shouldn't make a difference with a tweeter as they aren't generally driven at the resonance frequency. Inductance will be very similar as the domes tend to all be about the same size, excursion tends to be the same, so the same thickness of wire is generally used unless it's something exotic with hexagonal or rectangular wire.

So the impedance curve will be far more similar with a tweeter than a midrange or woofer.

I know where you are coming from though as it took me many months to find a driver to work on the NS1000M crossover instead of the 12" standard unit
    Bests, Mark

+ Reply to Thread