+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Random bike shots from the north..

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Ah the Aurora! I visited Iceland in November 2004 for the express purpose of seeing the Aurora. After nearly two weeks there, and having seen nothing of the Northern Lights, I became resigned to my 'fate' and rather stoical. However after leaving a restaurant one night (in, I think, Stykisshólmur), I looked up and there was the most magnificent display of the Aurora. The local Icelanders must have though “Here’s another barmy tourist”, from the way my jaw had dropped and I was just mesmerised by the magnificence and beauty of the phenomenon.
    Barry

I'm Mika.

Indeed you really cannot capture their presence to any pics. The movement and vivid changes in colors etc. details. When you're in the middle of nowhere and there is strong aurora at the sky you can actually also hear them. That's magical

One nice video..

Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

I'm Mika.

It has been pretty exceptional week or two here at the northern Finland. Almost plain bluebird and sunshine all the way with approx. -10 degrees by night and around zero during afternoon. Really beautiful weather, which really underlines the feeling of spring season.

During the last week have ridden more than 130km already but this morning just had to take a short spin again as Mrs was home and had some plans with the kids. So visited downtown at one local recordstore and then cruised around the riverside and the city for little more than for three hours

Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

I'm andy.

Mika,

Love the perspective, you having great ingenuity to keep it fresh for all to look in, tell me this,
    remind me what camera you use and do you use a Polarising filter to give you such deep blues and definition?.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm Mika.

Thanks.

The previous shot was taken with my Panasonic Lumix LX-3 without any filters. The other camera I use is old and reliable Canon 40D and usually with Sigma 30mm/1.4 lens and good quality UV filter.

I'm Mika.

Long time no hear! Have been little busy for few weeks with some projects at work and not been so active at forums etc. Have still been biking thou

Two weeks ago my LBS (local bike shop that is) had the road season opening party, which meant some new gear previews at the shop, three hour group side to the countryside and back plus after ride banquette at the shop. We had fun and especially good laughs when saw the practical joke of the service guys for the shop managers bike..

Last week we still had cold cold mornings like -1 to +4 degrees of C but the past two days have been exceptionally warm for mid-May. Today morning it was already +16 degs and afternoon +24 degs!

As have been tied to external TL-9000 audit for the past three and half days and done some long hours decided to leave today early and take my road bike out for a ride. Finally rode approx. 4 hours and covered total 101km. The air felt really warm as I'm not used to these temperatures yet and the last 20-30kms felt quite hard. It's early season, so not yet used to long steady paced rides with more or less constant speed and solid driving position and had to stop few times to stretch myself..

Today morning bought some parts to one bike project for our son. I found one kids Raleight mountain bike with 20" wheels dumped to trash area near our house and decided to salvage it So, today afternoon will have some work to do to get the bike back to life. If it becomes good will then later get it painted etc. Re-cycling at its best!

I'm andy.

Good to hear/see your update, +24 degrees !!!! jeez thats way warmer than here, Tuesday last week was +21 degrees then took a dive to the norm again.

No doubt your bambino's build will be spesh going by your steeds, i've hit a bit of a bumper with my Crosscheck build,
    i never knew how much bike parts have gone up, everytime i looked in the Bay, prices are insane, especially STI or Ergo Brake lever/gear combo's,
    even seperating them to brake and bar end changers you're not saving much, think i'll go back to my 70's set up of brake on bars and gear levers on down tube.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm Mika.

And the winner is..

..the salvaged kids mtb daddy has now repaired! It took approx. 70euros worth of new parts and three hours of effort to get it all sorted but the U's happiness is worth all that and much more. Did also 11km evening ride with him and I hear the bike works great

Today again some sunshine and heatwave continues. After fed up to the packing we're doing for the next week moving did two and half hour evening ride at the local trails with my friend Mr.P, here taking it slow under the Puolivälinkangas water tower..

Next three to four days are going with the house move I guess..

I'm andy.

Nice one Mika, looks like your laddie is mighty please, great find that wee bike, other than a bit of rust on the cranks and chain, easily remediable.

Hee...hee...i can imagine those phat tires must feel like riding on airbags, very butt friendly, i'd guess must be around 20-30 psi for those fat boys,
    i'd hazard a guess unlike the rock solid 120+psi for road or 60-80 psi of your Steamroller's cross tires.

p.s. typical biker you, the unwritten evidence of the tyre valve is just under the tyre brand, my habit too,
    all tyres on my bikes throughtout the years are done gthat way.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm Mika.

OK. sorry for the break at the pics even the season is on. The last three to four weeks have been pretty hectic as have now moved to new house and was almost two weeks without internet connection etc. Now starting to get hang of it, so few pics from the past weeks..

Mtb ride with my good friend Mr.P (he is a tattoo artist by profession).

Thinking should I stay, or should I go

One nice path at Oulu university botanical garden. Didn't ride that one to everyones surprise.. *wise decision*

My Sawyer at last weekends Levi 24h bike race after one of my turns to be at the route. Our four person team rode 450km paths and trails during 24 hours. Some heavy rain, sunshine, thousands of mosquitos and tons of fun! The winning team got 490km and the best solo rider 340km dusing 24 hours. Imagine that!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast