+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elfix Polarity Tester. Is this taking it too far ?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Indeed, though the pic in the link shows the lead into the plug with an earth, which would imply a non double-insulated bit of kit! Someone should report this, it could kill somebody.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    I smell a rat, a big fat shite covered rat
    So difficult to work out what you mean, sitting on the fence like that
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    So difficult to work out what you mean, sitting on the fence like that
    Transformers including SMPS transformers simply don't care which way they are fed, it's just a load of wire on a former at the end of the day
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Stephen.

Hi,

It's been selling for decades - so someone must be buying it. There's a Swiss connection, I think. Don't know if they make it or buy it because of their concerns with radiated fields. It simply gives an indication of A.C. leakage to earth; a (cheap) voltmeter would tell you more. Switch to A.C. range connect one probe to the plug's earth and the other to the chass and note the reading. Ideally, reverse the transformer's primary connections and measure again. One connection should give a lower reading and you do this with all components, which is said to lead to an improvement in sound quality. Haven' been able to read the P.D.F. so apologies if I'm just repeating what it says.

Kind Regards,
    Stephent

I'm Deleted.

A friend of mine has one that he picked up in a charity shop - neither of us have ever tried to use it though.
    Account Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    A friend of mine has one that he picked up in a charity shop - neither of us have ever tried to use it though.
    I wouldn't bother trying, don't waste your time
    Bests, Mark

I'm Deleted.

No matter how little one has on, there always seems to be something better to do
    Account Deleted

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Have none of you ever tried plugging a Telefunken mains lead into a portable player, playing a piece of music, and then switching over at the Telefunken plug end and playing the same thing again?

There are quite audible differences.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Have none of you ever tried plugging a Telefunken mains lead into a portable player, playing a piece of music, and then switching over at the Telefunken plug end and playing the same thing again?

There are quite audible differences.
    There should't be, after all as I said earlier transformers really don't care which way they are fed as long as there is no Earth connection involved.

Live & Neutral are thus one & the same with the plug you mentioned.

You did say 'portable player' though...

So I guess that means you can't quantify the mains being fed to it. After all, all you are listening to is a power supply & that is the mains

It changes 50 times a second in the UK, so even a few seconds out it may well sound different

I'm off to bed

All the bests Chris
    Bests, Mark

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Transformers including SMPS transformers simply don't care which way they are fed, it's just a load of wire on a former at the end of the day
    Ees my leetul joke senor
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast