+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elfix Polarity Tester. Is this taking it too far ?

I'm Mike.

Question Elfix Polarity Tester. Is this taking it too far ?

TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I smell a rat, a big fat shite covered rat
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    I smell a rat, a big fat shite covered rat

now that put a smile on my face.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Dave.

Don't bother reading the Russ Andrews link, I have summarised it below.

Mac OSX Amarra/Decibel → Musical Fidelity X-Can V8 → AKG K702/Grado SR80 Headphones

WD NAS → Naim ND5 XS → Densen B200 Pre → Focal CMS 50's
    Squeezebox Touch → HRT Music Streamer II+
    Also Rega P3/Rb300/Ortofon Blue → Pro-Ject Phonobox II → Amptastic Mini-T → Ruark Talisman II

I'm fuckoff.

Ha ha, tell it like it is Mark

I'm Martin.

Reversing the polarity at the plug is potentially dangerous.

If there is a line to earth fault and the fuse is in the neutral, the fuse may blow but there will still be live voltage going into the appliance (unless the mcb trips out at the fuse board).

Advising anyone to play with this is stupid at best.

martin
    Martin

Source: Sonos CONNECT DAC: Rega DAC Amp: Rega Brio-R Speakers: Neat Motive 2.

My system photos

Quote Originally Posted by Martinh View Post
    Reversing the polarity at the plug is potentially dangerous.

If there is a line to earth fault and the fuse is in the neutral, the fuse may blow but there will still be live voltage going into the appliance (unless the mcb trips out at the fuse board).

Advising anyone to play with this is stupid at best.

martin
    Correct!

While the equipment may well have an internal fuse it'll now be being fed by the Neutral line which is or should be at earth potential. This means the the only protection will be the fuse in the mains plug - which is generally rated far higher than an internal fuse would be for a lot of equipment

This thing is simply asking for trouble
    Bests, Mark

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Correct!

While the equipment may well have an internal fuse it'll now be being fed by the Neutral line which is or should be at earth potential. This means the the only protection will be the fuse in the mains plug - which is generally rated far higher than an internal fuse would be for a lot of equipment

This thing is simply asking for trouble
    Also, the equipment on/off switch will usually only be in the line (live) circuit. Reversing the polarity will put the switch in the neutral. That means that there will be live voltage in the appliance, even when switched off.

Not good.
    Martin

Source: Sonos CONNECT DAC: Rega DAC Amp: Rega Brio-R Speakers: Neat Motive 2.

My system photos

I'm fuckoff.

How can it be legal to sell something that would advise you to make such changes?

Quote Originally Posted by realysm42 View Post
    How can it be legal to sell something that would advise you to make such changes?
    It won't be a problem with something that is double insulated.

IE anything that has only a two core cable like a bit of kit with the figure of 8 plug pictured.

In anything else it's a bloody liability
    Bests, Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast