+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else disappointed with grado phones

I'm Keith.

I had SR80s at one time and really didn't like them one bit. I sold them on very quickly. I'm not a big headphone user - my Sennheiser HD595s are good enough for the little use they get.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

synsei Guest

I was angling for a pair of SR60's when I was advised to listen to a pair of Superlux 668B's. I much preferred the agility and clarity of the Superlux's so that's what I ended up with, although they're not to everyone's taste. Some seem to find them to be a bit brassy up top although I've never found them to be so

I'm Bernie.

After getting a set of Superlux 668Bs I sold my Sennheiser HD595s. The just didn't have any life compared to the former.
    Bernie.

I'm Steve.

On a different note i have got the iGi's (in ear headphones) and they are so much better than any other in ears i have heard. My Wife has beats and the iGi's destroy them. The only thing i would say against them is the selection of earbuds aren't that great.
    Amplifier:
    Sony DA-2400ES
    Sources:
    Technics SL-PG490 CD Player
    Pioneer N-50 - Network Streamer
    Sony MDS-JB940 Mini Disc Player
    Sony BDP-S360 BLU RAY
    SKY HD 1tb Box
    Speakers:
    Paradigm Monitor 7 Monitors
    Paradigm Centre
    Mordaunt Short Rears
    Cables:
    Tellurium Blue speaker cables with bridges
    and terminated with Z plugs
    Black Rhodium twist.

I'm Stu.

I've had 60s, 80s and now the 325is and have loved them all.
    Also had other pro headphones for home and studio use and always go back to the grados...
    Hifi Pig snoofling out what's hot in hifi.

I'm Paul.

I have the 60's and love them. I haven't heard a whole lot better for the money. The presentation of open backs like Grados take getting used to compared with closed backs and some people prefer closed backs.

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

I have the 125's and only really use them for when i'm on the move,not ideal but they will do till i find something else.

I do find them a tad uncomfortable and the sound is ok,not sure if i have heard the best out of them though.

When i use them,i don't think WOW,these are amazing!!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I guess I should comment as I bought Martin's 225i's. I think like anything, how your music is presented and what you enjoy listening to has a great bearing on the type of headphone you will go for. I have always wanted to try Grado's properly at home, over an extended period to get a feel for them. I do enjoy listening via headphones and have tried a few over the years, but I really didn't like these.

They were on a bit of loosing battle against my HD650's purely down to them being very uncomfortable, but I could have forgiven them that if they had sounded good. For me though they are far to bright and detailed, but this is personal taste. If you like the Monitor Audio house sound you should like them, but for me they are too fatiguing to listen to for longer than about 30 minutes, both musically and comfort wise. I am however glad I got to try them, but they are not for me and will be sold when I get round to it.
    Last edited by Tim; 22-05-2012 at 17:20.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Simon.

I had the 325i's and they were very good with a suitable phono amp. Kinda old school Naim in their presentation.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm colin.

I did play them with the headstreamer dac listening to Kraftwerk live and they suddenly sounded great. Other types of music not so good.
    Technic 1210, PS3, AVI neutron 2.1, Icon Audio p1 phono stage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast