+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forthcoming Classical Concerts

MartinT Guest

Default Forthcoming Classical Concerts

BBC Proms

It's BBC Proms season. If you've never been, this is a great year to go with a wonderfully varied programme. Buy tickets in advance or be a Promenader and stand in the centre Arena.

The Proms are all about bringing classical music to the masses. Introduced by Sir Henry Wood in 1895, they have a great, more casual, atmosphere and feature some of the greatest orchestras in the world. Most, but not all, concerts are in the Royal Albert Hall, London.

BBC Proms 2012

History of the Proms

I'm Julian.

OK boys and girls I think I have a contender for 2012's AOS classical outing which I mentioned as an idea a couple of weeks ago

It's an absolutely tip-top Russian themed evening that will appeal to the seasoned pros and classical virgins amongst you, with crowd-pleasers from Tchaikovsky / Mussorgsky / Shostakovich at London's Royal Festival Hall on Tuesday October 16.

Full details here -

http://ticketing.southbankcentre.co....rchestra-66314

The idea will be to go to the concert and then have drinks / chat nearby afterwards.

I would be happy to book a block of tickets if people can Paypal me the cost of their ticket upfront. As I go to quite a lot of concerts I'm a bit of a cheapskate and normally get tickets in the circle but happy to go with the majority preference.

Do we have any takers??
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

MartinT Guest

I'll definitely go. As I prefer good front stalls seats, I prefer to buy my own tickets. Any idea of how well booked it is so far? Do we need to get our skates on?

I'm Julian.

Great stuff Martin!

Plenty of tickets left as they haven't been on sale long ...

I would also really encourage anyone who hasn't been to a classical concert to give this a go - the Mussorgsky and Tchaikovsky are really easy to get into and won't have you running out of the hall in disgust

MartinT Guest

Got the tickets - you're right, lots of good seats left. I especially like the Shossy and look forward to this and meeting up with some AoS members

I'm openingabottleofwine.

It's quite likely I will be there too - but it depends on whether my 'ladyfriend' will be able to join me.

Will confirm in a couple of days.
    Barry

MartinT Guest

Nice one, Barry, it would be good to meet up again.

I'm Chris.

For those living in the North East, Brinkburn Music Festical will be upon us shortly http://www.brinkburnmusic.org/Brinkb...ival/Home.html. Beautiful location. Only a few days; 6-8 July.

I've booked tickets for the Gabrieli Consort singing Bach St Matthew Passion on the Sunday and was sorely tempted by Stilo Antico doing something a little earlier.

Chris

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Nice one, Barry, it would be good to meet up again.
    Excellent, hope we can get a few more punters to this (hopefully) great concert!

MartinT Guest

Default The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Concert, The Anvil Basingstoke

Friday 6th July

Mozart Overture: Cosi fan tutte
    Bach Allelujah from Cantata 51
    Haydn Trumpet Concerto
    Bizet Habanera from Carmen
    Saint-Saens Cello Concerto no. 1
    Handel Arrival of the Queen of Sheba
    Trad. The Bold Grenadier/The Collier Lad
    Bruch Violin Concerto no. 1
    Lehar Gypsy Fiddles

Alison Balsom trumpet
    Nicola Benedetti violin
    Natalie Clein cello
    Lesley Garrett soprano
    Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Sian Edwards

Should be interesting and it's just down the road from me. Looking forward to seeing Nicola Benedetti in the flesh

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast