+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The final part of the trilogy - Phonostages

I'm graham.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    No probs!

By the way, is that one of those new "analogue DAC's" i keep hearing about?

BR /Mike
    Very good!

For those that don't know it's a Nixie clock, because it uses Nixie Tubes
    My son bought it for my birthday and I finally had a chance to put it all together last month. The missus loves it so at least one brownie point, it tells the date and has an alarm function too. Bought all the bits from http://www.pvelectronics.co.uk/index.php but the tubes keep going up in price as they are becoming scarce.

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Quote Originally Posted by northwest View Post
    ... I am only going to use valves, I like valves...
    I'm not sure I'd call myself a "purist"; but, one of the things that really drew me to the Bottlehead was the layout. It's all point-to-point hand-wiring with no IC's, no PCB's, (unless the upgrade is installed), no op-amps, nothing but a handful of wire, caps, resistors, diodes, a couple of valves, a fuse and a tranny.

In progress:

Finished (top):

Finished (underneath) from their website:

I looked at the Audio Note L3 kit, as well; but, the PCB's put me off a bit (though I like the layout). It probably sounds excellent, also. I can't confirm.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm Jostein.

The Hagerman Cornet is also an option for a phonostage kit that sounds great:

http://www.hagtech.com/cornet2.html

My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Quote Originally Posted by jostber View Post
    The Hagerman Cornet is also an option for a phonostage kit that sounds great...
    That's the other one I was trying to think of. I've heard plenty of good things about this one, too. If my eyes don't deceive me, I do like the idea of a mono switch.

Side Note: My replacement valves arrived today. I should have done that a long time ago. I knew better; but, was apparently just being lazy. These puppies are dang near silent, even with the input of my digital recorder cranked to 12dB past unity gain (meters don't budge). Mmmmm.... I didn't realize how much the old tubes were holding it back. I do now.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12