+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gainclone builders

I'm rupert.

Hi All,

I have just finished the bread board version of my new Peter Daniel LM3875 chip amp. It is a very simple build which involves soldering a small number of parts to the PCB's and then joining the two boards to each other with 4 pieces of wire. The whole process to this point only took a couple of hours.

After testing DC offset and a quick listen on a pair of old speakers, I moved it to the main system exposing the typical Gainclone sound I have gotten used to since my previous build. (transparency, tight punchy bass and dead quite, large soundstage). These builds are almost addictive because they are so accessible (price wise / simple build). I will post more pics when it is in its final case.

All the best

IMG_5039.jpg

I'm Rob.

Yes a bit of an addiction indeed. I built too many really - simply because I could! I must get that camera out
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm rupert.

Default update

I finally got some time to put the components onto a laser cut aluminum base. Old school terminals No magnetic parts inside... not sure that would make a difference, it was just a design goal I had set myself.

more updates when I get a moment to finish the bonnet
    all the best
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Jim.

Fantastic work! Wonderful construction. Very neat and tidy, looks great.

I have built a couple chipamps, BrianGT 3886 and Peter Daniel 3875, both are wonderful.

For your next project, I suggest something from the Nelson Pass school of DIY, they are all wonderful and you will be extremely impressed with the performance. You mention that the chipamps soundly trounced the modded Quad, the class-A amps will do the came to the chipamps.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm rupert.

Thank's !

Yep, I had actually considered a Pass build. Everything I read about them is positive sound wise. The only thing holding me back is the enormous power consumption of these A Class designs.

The next level up from a standard GC build n the low power consumption leage, would probably be something like the Modulus86 Rev. 2.0 I think. Things evolve fast in DIY these days (build thread) (constructor site).

Cheers
    Ru

I'm Jim.

Don't worry about the power draw... You also get the benefit of heat in your room!

Yes, genuine Class-A is not particularly efficient. But they do sound wonderful. Amazing.

But if it's a genuine concern, it's worth looking into a SMPS, the total efficiency will be better than a linear PSU.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm rupert.

As a guy over at diyaudio.com said "Class A needs to soak (in the current)".
    Maybe I'll get a second hand (obviously) Pioneer A717 one of these days...

I'm Jim.

Yes. Very true.

...but that statement is akin to saying "Water must be wet." It's part and parcel that Class-A is heavy in the current - the devices never turn off.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by r100 View Post
    The next level up from a standard GC build n the low power consumption leage, would probably be something like the Modulus86 Rev. 2.0 I think. Things evolve fast in DIY these days (build thread) (constructor site).

Cheers
    Ru
    Rupert,

Did you ever get around to building the Mod86?

I'm thinking about building a chip amp but still searching for ideas.

I'm Ken.

This Conexelecronic board is one of the simplest ways of doing a Gainclone, based on LM3886 it has a SMPS on the same 100mm square board.
    DC detection/shut down, over/under voltage protection, soft start all built in. Just connect mains power an audio input and speakers.
    I finished this lash up recently to asses its suitability for use on mids and tweeters within an active 3-way crossover. (Class D for bass)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast