+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gainclone builders

I'm Rob.

I built one with some Brian GT boards (sold it to Hamish who used to hang out here). However having delved into making GC's point to point, the one's I made from scratch sounded sooooooooo much better as a result of all the labour involved
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm rupert.

My only current reference is a modded Quad. The Chipamp pumps out a lot more detail in a much larger sound stage. Percussion and drums, basses and guitars sound very real and nicely textured (if that makes sense ?). Even piano music (which I never really listen too - probably because it didn't sound too good in my previous configuration) is now a pleasure to listen too.

I couldn't be happier. Especially when the price for this kit is considered. Ok, the transformers are quite expensive but I would definitely recommend to use one per channel.

Do you have some instructions or references for your point-to-point build ? I would like to give that a try as well one of these days

Cheers
    Rupert

I'm Rob.

Yes I do. I would suggest you follow the diagram on Decibel Dungeon for a simple LM3875 or 3886 amp.

http://www.decdun.me.uk/gainclone.html

I'm rupert.

Thanks ! I knew about that site but I now realize how informative it is. Great stuff !

I'm rupert.

Smile Listening Tests - quick report

I have had the LM3886 amp running for the last couple of weeks with different configurations and setups. I finally settled for the Yulong DA8 preamp with its DAC section.

The setup is sounding very, very good to my ears. My reference amp, the venerable Quad 306, modded with some nice components from Dadaelectronics has been dethroned by a large margin. Or lets say, it is not at all the same kind of sound. Whereas the Quad is quite laid back, relatively detailed and has a quite large soundstage (after mods that is), the LM is a different beast altogether.

First off, it is stunningly detailed. It is almost scary at times. Snare drums, kick drums, percussions are so lifelike that you can almost feel the skin of them vibrating. It delivers a tight, deep, textured, fast (if that makes sense) and engaging bass which makes the people in the room want to boogie ;-).. Voices, drums, guitars, especially acoustic guitars are "in the room". The soundstage projection is so large and deep, I have never experienced anything like it, even from the best amps I have owned, (including a pair of NVA A40.2 mono blocks ). And all that even at low listening levels.

I know this all sounds too good to be true, but it is, at least for me. I did have to move around some components and let it all settle in a bit but I can honestly say now that for the 100 or so dollars for the kit, a couple of fun hours of building and some shuffling stuff around, it has largely payed off and I am extremely happy with it.

Disclaimer My only source is streamed high-res (Spotify) music from a lowly Airport Express which may put some folk off. But I think I have a great synergy going on in my current setup which really squeezes every last bit of goodness out of the bits and bytes it is fed without ever sounding analytical or synthetic or whatever.

IMG_5004.jpg
    Last edited by r100; 17-01-2015 at 22:25. Reason: added pic

I'm Rob.

Yes, IMO the LM3886 chips give a very detailed performance. The LM3875 chip (again IMO only?) gives no less detail, but perhaps a less in your face performance. The LM3875 monoblocks I made using the info on Dec Dun are run at the max of the chips voltage capability as I only had 30-0-30 trannys to hand (and as I am tight didn't want to buy any more!). In view of this I also built the voltage regulator modules on the DEC Dun site so that the voltage does not exceed 45vdc. The chips are attached to fairly modest heatsinks and they do not get very hot. I might take a pic if you are interested.

I'm rupert.

Very interesting!. I received the LM3875 kit from Peter the other day. He describes the 3875 as his favorite chip compared to the 3886. I am still waiting for the trannies which will be the same as use in the 3886 build 2x23/150vA so I won't have to worry about frying my speakers or the chip 😀. I'm looking forward to comparing them. The case, heat sink and cabling will be identical to the first build as well.

Are you still using your builds ? Pics would be nice if no hassle.

Cheers

I'm rupert.

stumbled on this link.. looks like the one Puffin made ? point to point with nice photos and step by step instructions..

peace
    greetings

http://dogbreath.de/Chipamps/ThreeRe...reeResAmp.html

1.jpg

3.jpg

I'm Rob.

No Rupert, I can't take the credit for that one - mine is much neater

I thought I had some pics of the LM3875 amps on Ph*%kbucket, but thenm realised that they were on my previous Dell that died. I will try to get some pics done, but as I am on holiday this week I am VERY busy

I did the mods to some Sony PS1's a few years ago as per Dogbreath and made the suggested PSU. Very good and worth doing, but time moves on and the PS1's lasers are a bit flaky and in any event don't like reading CDR's.

I'm rupert.

Have a good one !!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast