+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gainclone builders

Hello,

I also made a dual mono LM3875 based GC clone but with improved (regulated) power supply.
    Find attached some photos about it. I used resistor brands suggested by Peter Daniel in the most important places and some AudioNote silver wires plus Shinkoh resistor for the voltage divider suggested by my friend as my Kondo M7 clone tube preamp has high amplification.

I am not an expert but I will be glad to answer any questions (if I know the answer :-))

Regards,
    László

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22181492/GC/Gaincard_001.jpg
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22181492/GC/Gaincard_002.jpg
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22181492/GC/Gaincard_004.jpg
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22181492/GC/P003.JPG
    Last edited by vencel; 11-06-2012 at 20:32.
    László from Budapest :-)

Although I did not have the possibility to try Peter Daniel's DIY kit but I find it very impressive and read very good reviews about them on the net.
    László from Budapest :-)

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Looks very smart indeed - thank you for posting
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm rupert.

Lightbulb Thread revival

Hi,

I stumbled on this thread by accident while researching the information on chip amps specifically based on LM3x and LM4x chips. I would like to revive this thread if anyone is interested as I have built a first LM3886 based on the chipamp.com boards and have a second one based on the Peter Daniel kit on order... so it would be nice to exchange some knowledge and specifically opinions on the sound of these amps within the AoS membership. Yes, there are active threads on the subject over at diyaudio.com but they are for the most part quite technical and less focused on the sound quality as I see it.

In any case, if there are any other GC builders or owners still out there then lets keep this thread alive

Best to all
    Last edited by r100; 01-01-2015 at 22:11.

I'm Duncan.

I have built many Gainclones.
    Great little amps, easy to build.
    I find the LM3875 none inverted the sweetest sounding but don't use a transformer with 25 volt secondaries.
    18v or 22v are enough, you don't want to venture into the SPiKe protection, I have successfully used transformers with 25v secondaries and unwound some copper to measure 22v.

I'm rupert.

WOW !

I love those beehive heat sinks

I have only built one from chipamp (standard double mono build). I am also very happy with the sound and punchiness of these little amps. I plan to try some other builds based on the Peter Daniel designs and maybe some very cheap ones from fleabay. The only really expensive items in these builds are the transformers and the case if not build from spare parts. The build is quite accessible to anyone who knows how to solder which IMHO makes them the ideal intro DIY projects with great results.

All the best
    rupert

I'm rupert.

Hi,
    some pics of the completed amp. It is very compact but weighs a ton ! The sound is extremely detailed which sometimes makes me jump ! The soundstage is almost unbelievable. The speakers literally disappear. The only slight negative is that I had to take my volume attenuator out of the chain in order to tame a slight harshness it was causing at very hight listening levels.

Next up will be a Peter Daniel design.

IMG_4967.jpg

IMG_4966.jpg

IMG_4965.jpg

IMG_4969.jpg

IMG_4968.jpg

sorry, can't get the pics to rotate

I'm Rob.

Your cat has amazing powers to be able to cling vertically to the amp

Nice build, what is the guts of the amp? LM3886 or LM3875 based.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Duncan.

Nice job, but I like to see the insides.

Funny you should say that it sometimes makes you jump, I also found this with my builds.
    To be honest it's the only amp that did.

Perhaps something to do with very short signal paths maybe.

Must build a pair of monoblocks, point to point wiring to see how they drive my Kef 105s.

I'm rupert.

It must be the amp that has a very strong attraction. The cat is actually stuck to it, hence his surprised look

The build is based on the BrianGT chipamp.com kit with a LM3886 per channel and a separate power board and transformer per channel. It's my first true dual mono amplifier and if anything the sound staging is really freaky.

Internal wiring is standard Lapp PTFE insulated, silvered copper wire. The toroids are 150VA 22v+22v. I'm currently driving them directly from a Yulong DA8 DAC which has its own preamplifier.

Here a early image of the base plate populated with the bits and pieces.

IMG_4955.jpg

measuring the temperure at full load .. approaching 50°C

IMG_4998.jpg
    Last edited by r100; 07-01-2015 at 16:47. Reason: typos and content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast