+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multi Plugs = Safe? Extension block better? DIY dual headed plug?

I'm Simon.

Default Multi Plugs = Safe? Extension block better? DIY dual headed plug?

Will try to keep this simple but be warned I may ramble on...

Will be putting a DC blocker into my system (in front of monoblocks) in a few weeks and am trying to figure out how I want to proceed. Currently have all gear in an 8 way surge protected APC extension block. My aim is to plug the monos direct into the wall (through the blocker) although I only have 1 socket spare and currently each amp has it's own plug!

I've been looking at multi-way plugs although I've read some comments that they're not exactly 'legal' or entirely safe which probably explains why they are not easy to find anymore.

Other option is to wire to cables into a single plug, although I have my doubts about that too. It' just seems a bit wrong, even though it makes sense.

My other option is to buy a simple no frills block (no on light or switches and decent connections) and connect amps to that, although does that defeat plugging directly into the wall?

I seem to have more questions than answers at the minute.

Any other options available?

I'm Carlos.

Hello Simon, a bit of a ramble is OK (one of the reason I like this AOS forum, as you can say what is on your mind, without getting shot down).

Moving away from the 8 way block is a good idea. Wiring the two power cables of the amps together (in one plug) 'may have some reasoning to it', but my first thought was that it may be a quick way to fry both your amps if you get a loose connection and pull one of the wires.

These are just my initial rambled thoughts.

Slightly off topic, for my testing I may get one of these no frills sockets (link to ebay 'IEC Kettle Lead C13 4 Way Multiboard MultiGang Extension Splitter Board Box'): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301883868143

At the moment I am in the middle of revising all my power leads & connections too, so I guess I will chime in with my rambled thought too from time to time, if that is OK?

I am away from home for a while, when I get back I'll spec out my setup & do a rambled evaluation, to see if there are any similar goals that we are both trying to improve.

Updated info:
    Here is a link to the DC Blocker thread, where I have added some info about my setup:
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...839#post743839
    Last edited by Carlos-UK-2016; 28-03-2016 at 13:33. Reason: added a link to more information

I'm Simon.

No problems to ramble in here Carlos, it's all part of the discussion.

I'm Simon.

So is it a good idea to get something like a Tacima block with added mains filtering for CDP, Turntable, DAC, Phono stage and then something basic with no filtering or surge protection but good high quality for the power amps? Would a pre-amp be lumped with that or the conditioner?

I'm Grant.

Default Multi Plugs = Safe? Extension block better? DIY dual headed plug?

Try and pick up one of the Belkin pure av units.. They are super bits of kit for money..ive got this one

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Simon.

Those Belkin units look nice although a bit big and look like they'd need a place on a rack, which I don't have (already overloaded!).

I'm still no closer to what I'm going to do. I like the look of the Mark Grant extensions although at £200 they are a bit out of my league, plus I would only need 2 sockets for my monos. The other thing I've looked at is maybe getting an Olson 2 way block and fitting my own DIY cable to that. How hard would it be to open it up and re-wire it myself?

I've pretty much given up the idea of using a multi-way plug as A) They're really pricey these days (£40!) B) Apparently the fuse holder is not well attached inside plus it looks a bit cheap to me.

I'm still toying with wiring both IEC leads into a single plug, although trying to find others that have done this online is near impossible, or I'm searching the wrong terms.

I'm Carlos.

Hello Simon, something to consider is what type/SIZE mains cable you are going to use. I would really recommend using a shielded cable with the screen tied to earth at one end. Have you seen this thread: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...13A-Power-cord

Working with heavy gauge cables, wired into a single plug might seem like a good idea but MAY be physically impossible. I have trouble fitting one of these heavy screened cables into a one plug, let alone two.
    BTW Simon, I forgot to ask how your amps are currently connected to the mains, Do they have IEC connections? or have they got hard wired power cables?

If you are considering spending £200 on a MG extension block, you may as well consider spending £50 more and buy a full on regenerator which converts AC to DC & back to AC (to clean up your AC & importantly give you a rock solid stable 230V, as well as 6 outlets): https://markgrant.co.uk/mains-filter...d-control.html
    Personally I would not spend £200 on a distribution block.

I'm Simon.

Yep, read that thread. I was thinking of using the Belden 19364 cable and there is an MK plug which will accomodate 2 of these inside (somebody posted about it a few pages in) so that was my idea. However I just can't seem to find much info out there about how safe and or/usual this is. Doesn't seem like anybody does this which obviously has me thinking it's not the best solution.

The mains regenerator I haven't looked into. I thought it was best to plug amps directly into the wall?

My amps are currently connected with their original IEC > UK 5A plug cables and they each have a separate cable & plug, hence the need for 2 sockets.

I'm Carlos.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    Yep, read that thread. I was thinking of using the Belden 19364 cable and there is an MK plug which will accomodate 2 of these inside (somebody posted about it a few pages in) so that was my idea. However I just can't seem to find much info out there about how safe and or/usual this is. Doesn't seem like anybody does this which obviously has me thinking it's not the best solution.

The mains regenerator I haven't looked into. I thought it was best to plug amps directly into the wall?

My amps are currently connected with their original IEC > UK 5A plug cables and they each have a separate cable & plug, hence the need for 2 sockets.
    If you are 'determined' to wire them together, maybe a safer way is to make a DIY version (belden cable) up something like this (you could use a junction box)
    Whatever you do (SAFETY with AC Mains is the most important FACTOR):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-0m-2-WAY...-/281977472572

I use these £5 IEC connectors, with thick Belden cable:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2616066566...72.m2749.l2649

Or even simpler, just get a double socket, with no leds or switches fitted in the wall. That is the most straight forward maybe?
    Last edited by Carlos-UK-2016; 31-03-2016 at 14:38. Reason: SAFETY with AC Mains is the most important FACTOR

I'm Simon.

How would I wire something like that up inside (the junction box)? I can wire a plug and IEC no problem but that I have no idea. I would have thought that making a dual headed plug would be technically 'safe' as long as current draw is no more than the socket and cable can handle and that the right fuse is used, but the lack of any info online makes me wonder that maybe it's not widely done like that for a reason.

I'm currently thinking a 2 way extension would be best but trying to find something that is substantial inside (thick wire, soldered well maybe with silver plating, no switch or light) and not breaking the bank is proving hard to find.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast