+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My setup

Default My setup

My system has looked far better than this. noteably when it was MF/cyrus icons and orbe. However, it's never sounded better than it does now.
    there's a lesson in there somewhere

the standac is hidden behind the ps1200. i really need an extra shelf module but can't find one
    ---------------------------------------------------
    recovering audioholic

Technics: SL 1210 mk2 / KAB PS1200 psu /Trans-fi Terminator / AT-OC9MLII / WD ph3s /Bluesound node 2i/Musical Fidelity Ms3i/ WADkit 6550 / Tannoy revolution xt8f

Gareth.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Excellent, Gareth - some nice kit there...

How are the 'bits' I sold you doing?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

How are the 'bits' I sold you doing?
    rumbled - this is an old photo hence the lack of damper. i'll pop an extra one up in a mo.
    the damper is doing its job nicely and is a nice piece of engineering.

the transparent lead is less of a revelation if truth be told, but i don't think it's any fault of the lead.
    i think the most suprising thing in the entire setup is the sony NACdh1e
    i don't know what it does in there, but output from its HDD is almost imperceptible from the output through the TC-7510 6/4 and transparent i/c.
    there is a difference, but nothing mindblowing.
    i think a lot of people would consider the sony a 'toy' - i can honestly tell you it's an excellent bit of kit, and i'm very glad i found it at such a good price.
    Last edited by muffinman; 06-01-2009 at 13:50.
    recovering audioholic

Technics: SL 1210 mk2 / KAB PS1200 psu /Trans-fi Terminator / AT-OC9MLII / WD ph3s /Bluesound node 2i/Musical Fidelity Ms3i/ WADkit 6550 / Tannoy revolution xt8f

Gareth.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

LOL, no worries! I thought that I couldn't 'spy' the damper

the transparent lead is less of a revelation if truth be told, but i don't think it's any fault of the lead.
    Cables will do what cables will do from system to system... There is no 'one size fits all' cable.

Have you made sure that directionality is correct? The end marked with the white collar on the plug goes to the source, etc. If not, it won't sound right.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Have you made sure that directionality is correct? The end marked with the white collar on the plug goes to the source, etc. If not, it won't sound right.
    It's all ticketty boo fella. it's horses for courses as you say. the 'logical' step would be to address the analogue i/c from the dac/cdp but i don't wish to go down that road again just yet.
    recovering audioholic

Gareth.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

You know, I was offered a Transparent ML Ultra balanced in fully working, but tatty cosmetic condition for £200 a number of years ago. I didn't have my cheque book and before I got the chance to re-visit the chap I was made redundant from the "road" job I had!!!!! I feel deep regret as I really liked their Ultra interconnects, despite the boutique prices. A mate has his Krell/MLsystem wired with Transparent Reference leads with no guilt whatsoever lol.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

How do you find that mitchel clamp? They look pretty cool. Any use or just purdy?

I dont currently use it in conjunction with the sds. i'll be using it again when i get a different mat.
    it's light, it works, it looks good and it's cheap
    give it a go
    recovering audioholic

Gareth.

what mat are you thinking of using with the clamp?

Does the clamp clamp to the spindle? I've never used one before- can you clamp it down too hard and make things worse?

Quote Originally Posted by fraser. View Post
    what mat are you thinking of using with the clamp?

Does the clamp clamp to the spindle? I've never used one before- can you clamp it down too hard and make things worse?
    hopefully a herbies mod or srm. the sds does a good job but has to be used in conjunction with something to provide a decent record/mat interface.
    it clamps on to the spindle. it pushes down as hard as you want really. damage is easily avoided. like i say, if the disc is perfect then no clamp should be required, i just like using them
    recovering audioholic

Gareth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast