+ Reply to Thread

Thread: USB

I'm David.

Default USB

Whilst enquiring today I find that unless you pay loads USB will only transfer 16 bit!! & seeing my "Air" has only usb I'm stuck with that I rang Pro-Ject the DAC I was sent & they said its capable of 24bit but it only does 16 but wouldnt explain any Ideas?
    "This is the End my Friends"

Quote Originally Posted by kreacherx View Post
    Whilst enquiring today I find that unless you pay loads USB will only transfer 16 bit!! & seeing my "Air" has only usb I'm stuck with that I rang Pro-Ject the DAC I was sent & they said its capable of 24bit but it only does 16 but wouldnt explain any Ideas?
    Your MacBook Air is cable of Class 1 Audio (24-bit data precision, 96kHz sampling rate) as standard and Class 2 Audio (24/192) at a pinch, in both cases with the appropriate converters.

Your Pro-Ject USB Box uses a 16-bit, 44.1kHz converter chip. It cannot be forced or cajoled into any form of higher bit or sampling rate than that.

So, while your Mac can do 24/96, your USB box cannot. It's that simple, I'm afraid. The HRT Streamer II is the cheapest DAC that supports 24/96, I believe, and that's £160.

I'm andrew.

The Cambridge Dacmagic 100 or MF V Link2 will do up to 24/192 via USB, both are £199.
    Andy.

I'm Chris.

The HRT Streamer II is pipped to the cheapest post by the Arcam rPAC at £150 :-)
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm Doug.

My FiiO E10 will do 24/96kHz.

It does not require mains power, has a headphone amplifier and uses USB.

It costs ~ £65.00.

Whilst not the highest of Fi, it is excellent for the money, IMHO.

+ Reply to Thread