+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: little problem..

I'm Dave.

One thing to note is that it's hard (impossible?) to get a multi channel output via TOSLINK. Most playera will only output. 2 channel audio via TOSLINK, if they even do that, which may depend on the source. OTOH many new systems can do multi channel via HDMI. it's possible that HDMI might be the way to go rather thatn SPDIF/TOSLINK

Actually to clarify the multi channel capabilities of SPDIF see here - http://ac3filter.net/wiki/How_to_pla...3/DTS)_AudioCD
    This shows that multi channel PCM audio should not be possible with SPDIF, but compressed audio using DTS/AC3 can be.
    Last edited by dave2010; 25-04-2012 at 21:22.
    Dave

MartinT Guest

I linked to something very similar in post #2!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I linked to something very similar in post #2!
    A bit out of step here though! Your original link suggested a headline price of £17 - perhaps not a great recommendation, though most of the suppliers had lower prices. It should be possible to get mechanical/optical switches for a fiver or less.
    Dave

MartinT Guest

My link was to a Google shopping search. I was suggesting the idea of a TOSlink switch as well as pointing to a likely device. I'm sure the O/P, having seen my suggestion, could find one at his preferred price. And since when was £17 a 'not great recommendation'?

I'm george.

So all this time with my toslink running from the ps3 to the amp,and the amp telling me "optical surround" from a blue ray disc,Im only getting stereo?
    Yet I hear the helicopters flying from speaker to speaker? (at least 4 of them,I think the centre one is for voice only)
    I can hear a huge difference when I have the pvr plugged in...even in "movie" mode...not so much seperation...
    I have just tried running the toslink direct from the screen...i.e
    hdmi from ps3 to plasma....plasma toslink out to amp....depending on what mode I use, pcm,movie,dts, etc its all different so I dont think the tv is interfering.....now..if only I could find the user manual...
    thanks to all for the interest so far
    GT

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Toslink will happily do multichannel, the only thing it doesn't like is 24 bit 192KHz simply because the transmitter & receiver have problems at this speed. They simply can't react fast enough.

There are loads of AV amps that'll accept a Toslink input & output the multichannel sound they have been sent. Just don't expect quite the same bandwidth as a coaxial cable connection.
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Mike.

erm I send 24bit 192khz from my pc to my A/V amp via a toslink cable it's only in stereo though, and the amp will only output in stereo not pseudo 5.1

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm george.

Default sorted

Hello all,
    Found the manual for my tv at last!!
    Seems I can use the toslink as the book says:digital audio output for passing on digital soundtracks received via the HDMIs(3)
    Problem solved! ps3 to tv via hdmi,pvr to tv via hdmi,
    toslink to amp!
    And this was after I bought a splitter...never mind,Im sure Ill find a use for it...
    Thanks a lot guys
    GT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12