+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: False surround?

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    my Yammy has loads of surround settings and I've had some fun playing around with the pre set settings with sometimes interesting results but mostly its hideous , the church surround is really funny .
    Gentlemen-oriented DVDs of an adult nature are hilarious when watched in 'Church' mode.

Or so I'm told....
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Gentlemen-oriented DVDs of an adult nature are hilarious when watched in 'Church' mode.

Or so I'm told....
    Never thought of that , I do err have a couple of movies in my collection that I think may fit that discription must try them sometime
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm john.

I have a choice of using hafler matrix from two channel and getting surround sound

jon

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1 View Post
    I have a choice of using hafler matrix from two channel and getting surround sound

jon
    I have heard of this but haven't looked into it, isn't it synthesising a third channel from the left & right?

Fill us in John
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm ChrisB.

Basically, take the difference between left & right & feed it into the rear speakers:

Some folks liked to put a little delay into the rear channels - easily bodged by feeding it through a tape loop!

I'm Stephen.

You can add a fifth speaker to the Hafler set-up. It goes from the junction of the two rears to earth and giver the sum signal. When I tried the Hafler set-up it could sound a bit gimmicky depending on the recording. I found best results with adding a bit of sum signal to the rears with a pot to earth. In the end gave up when I discovered a slightly unusual speaker placement that freaked me out with a rock-solid 3-D central image from normal 2 speakers.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Basically, take the difference between left & right & feed it into the rear speakers:

Some folks liked to put a little delay into the rear channels - easily bodged by feeding it through a tape loop!
    Didn't Eno release an album that relied upon this '3rd Speaker' as a rear channel.

I remember rigging up something like this way back to see what it sounded like!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ChrisB.

'Ambient 4: On Land'

Description here, though I don't think he mentions the above album.

I'm Stephen.

Looking again the fifth speaker went from the junction of the fronts to earth. When there was no rear speakers used this was the three channel set-up.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen

I'm Ed.

Hi I'm fairly new at this but here are my few cents worth.
    Some DVD's have fantastic sound in stereo and avarege in DD or DTS as some where never intended to be 5.1 etc. Also some of the BluRay discs have very high quality 2 channel tracks that sound fantastic. But if you have a great HT setup and are able to set it up properly most modern ones for HT sound awesome and some old ones not so good. BluRay is so far the best I've heard or seen. So I'm slowly building up the collection.
    In the Dolby prologic day's some concerts sounded fantastic and now on newer gear with bass management etc they sound flat. Which is then all part of the fun to make it sound good again.
    In the end surround or not surround all comes down to personal taste.
    I think my humble system sounds great yet others may disagree

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast