+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: TASCAM DV-RA1000HD - An Analog Lover's Perspective

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Leo,

Welcome to AoS

Perhaps others are putting in as much effort helping with your enquiry as you did in your Welcome thread?

Anyway, where in England are you? It's a rather large place.... The geographical location in your profile should contain the country you live in and area. Therefore, please add that information next time you log in.

Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Leo.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Anyway, where in England are you? It's a rather large place.... The geographical location in your profile should contain the country you live in and area. Therefore, please add that information next time you log in.
    England is not so big - travelling has shown me that. I've added more location detail as requested.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one... Thanks for that

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Quote Originally Posted by pixel79 View Post
    This is a very old, but very interesting thread. I'm thinking of modding my DV-RA1000HD by taking the hard drive out which, like everyone's has become a bit flaky with read errors - replacing it with an mSATA SSD.

Has anyone tried putting a drive in whose capacity is larger than the original?
    Wow, this is an old thread, init?

You would obviously have to test that out, both the mSATA SSD and the needed converter in order to find a match that worked well with your RA1000HD. I've known folks who have put in drives much larger than 60GB (320GB?). I think I mentioned the first unit I purchased, new, came with an 80GB rather than a 60GB. I don't see why it shouldn't work. Having said that, I did have to go through different brands of CF cards and converters before I found a combination that had my desired capacity as well as desired performance. Once I did, things have got on so well that I don't think about it anymore.

It's hard to believe it's been 4 years! I've been using my modded master recorder pretty much non-stop. I've often thought about moving on to the DA-3000; but, I just can't bring myself to ditch the optical drive. More importantly, the ability to slap in a new optical drive for a few quid if one goes south is too good to pass up.

I actually purchased a used second unit as a backup. After having tested it, it is now tucked away for a rainy day.

BTW: Sorry about the broken picture links. Photobucket was and still is just a necessary evil.

Additional Note: I see that Yamaha has now put out 2 universal players that, like the Oppos, will play 24/192 .wav/.bwf files on a burned DVD: BD-S681 and BD-A1060.

Cheers!
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm Leo.

Thanks for replying and sharing your views.

Yeah they're such well-built machines. I use mine every single week. Reliable (apart from those odd disk issues) and the quality of the preamps and the audio stages overall is really very good indeed. I, too, considered getting the DA3000 but the 1000HD is so trustworthy (and the perk of the optical drive) that it's daft to get rid of something that works well.

It's a shame the USB can't be upgraded to a faster version - that's my only qualm. When you're shipping multi-gigabyte files around, this is a bit of a bottleneck.

I'm going to make it a bank holiday project to pop the lid and see if I can get a higher capacity drive installed. I shall report back.

I'm Leo.

The fun begins. I have the mSATA drive, the mSATA to IDE kit and now a hurdle... Does anyone know how to actually get at the drive? I've taken this unit apart (see images below) and can't see what needs to be unscrewed next

Images on dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sc/lovrx4u6z...0E7fKeqUAWwmza

All tips gratefully appreciated!
    Last edited by pixel79; 01-09-2016 at 22:41.

I'm Leo.

For ease, here are some low res images but as mentioned the full res pics are on Dropbox

2016-09-01 12.40.47.jpg

2016-09-01 12.40.52.jpg

2016-09-01 12.41.04.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234