+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Group buy: Mini T amplifier + 5A PSU at a discount price

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Mini-T now doing it's thang

First impressions are it does some decent bass & everything sounds quite nice.

Not that different from the Extron... Lets see what a few days & some power (well what it's capable of doing) do to free things up

Where's the remote control?

Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Rich.

Mine is now being run in as part of my second system driving Mission 760 SE (89bD 6ohm).... initial thoughts are all positive, a lot to like here... right now its making my stock a400 blush... I feel sorry for the old trooper... all these years of service and put to shame by a £60 young pretender.

This wee amp should come with a health warning as it makes you change your music choices, I've been throwing techno at it all morning and its begging for more..(i dont usually do techno!)
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    This wee amp should come with a health warning as it makes you change your music choices, I've been throwing techno at it all morning and its begging for more..(i dont usually do techno!)
    It also appears to have a habit of making you want to turn up the volume

This is quite amazing, I wish it had a clipping light as the volume it's doing is daft, with seriously deep bass to. I can actually feel it
    Bests, Mark

Finally found the clipping point. Interesting, unlike a normal solid state amp it clips pretty softly. I'm guessing that the output filter is helping there as it's limiting the bandwidth.

I can see why there are comparisons to tube amps in the above respect..

This thing still has no right to make the sound it does More than enough power for a kitchen setup unless you have a kitchen the size of which Gordon Ramsey could afford
    Bests, Mark

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    More than enough power for a kitchen setup . . .
    That's where mine is going Mark - just need some speakers now and may get the Wharfedale Diamonds
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    That's where mine is going Mark - just need some speakers now and may get the Wharfedale Diamonds
    Well mine's driving Townshend Glastonburys & doing an exemplary job of it which is quite astonishing

They are a tad too big for a standard kitchen though
    Bests, Mark

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    You might think about the Monitor Audio BX1, or even better the BX2, for the sensitivity. I didn't hear the combo for myself but a friend was very satisfied. There's quite a difference with this amp between driving speakers to a decent volume and getting the dynamics and speed that are possible.

I tried my Wharfedale Diamond 8.1s and although there was no problem, you wouldn't have thought the amp was anything special through them.
    Steve & Valerie

www.electricbeachaudio.com

If you think you know the answer already, you're not really searching

A plastic box, some glass bottles, two metal tins and some lengths of string

I'm Steve.

This is quite amazing, I wish it had a clipping light as the volume it's doing is daft, with seriously deep bass to. I can actually feel it
    I'm so pleased you are hearing what's possible Mark. Now you know why I thought it was worth fixing mine when it had it's little, er, accident

If it had a sweeter top end then I'd have real trouble putting my SET back in the game, the connection with the music is excellent. Actually when I factor back in the things the 1.5w SET doesn't do, then it's very difficult. The Mini-T has more boogie factor, better bass, more excitement and is happy with a far wider range of genres and recording qualities.

In fact I'm going to keep a dual amp setup especially to use it for movies (2.1). Last night we watched Tyrannosaur with it (plus sub). Not a film filled with your typical movie soundtrack but it kept drawing our attention to it; some of the dialogue is not particularly easy to follow but it was crystal clear, the tone of Peter Mullen's voice was wonderful and I had to rewind to believe the sound of plectrum on nylon strings from Chris Wheat's guitar.
    Steve & Valerie

www.electricbeachaudio.com

If you think you know the answer already, you're not really searching

A plastic box, some glass bottles, two metal tins and some lengths of string

I'm Rich.

I'd agree with that... I've had it to rave levels today

Also surprising bass from this amp, i revisited one the tracks from the album club 'Rainbow Wings' by Eagle Eye Cherry, I've not felt bass like that from the wee missions before.

Right now its making a good job of the varied selection offered by radio paradise, I'd agree with other folk that it prefers less busy sounding music, Bob Marley, Tracey Chapman & Harry Manx all sound fab though.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by electric beach View Post
    The Mini-T has more boogie factor
    Yep, thats definately how i'd describe them... theres even been a bit of dancing in Casa Richb today...

My mate is having a birthday party in a couple of weeks time and I'm gonna take the mini t along to drive his tannoy dual concentrics... I reckon it'll get the party going.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast