+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Group buy: Mini T amplifier + 5A PSU at a discount price

I'm Lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Mine arrived today.

Can't believe it will source 20W per channel from a li'll iddy-biddy box about the size of a couple of fag packets.

My only real concern at the moment is the 13A plug fitted to the power supply mains lead is not fused
    It really is the oddest little mains plug. But the amp is a little cutey.
    The Man with the suit and the pace. Knee deep in the dead.

I'm Dave.

Yes the mains lead is a concern as it doesn't look to be fused so I used an alternative lead instead.

I'm not sure if the lead supplied contains a fuse inside (not replaceable, obviously) but if not then Amptastic need to fix this quick. I'm 99% sure that goods sold in the uk must meet uk electrical safety standards, so a fused plug is mandatory!
    Mac OSX Amarra/Decibel → Musical Fidelity X-Can V8 → AKG K702/Grado SR80 Headphones

WD NAS → Naim ND5 XS → Densen B200 Pre → Focal CMS 50's
    Squeezebox Touch → HRT Music Streamer II+
    Also Rega P3/Rb300/Ortofon Blue → Pro-Ject Phonobox II → Amptastic Mini-T → Ruark Talisman II

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffy View Post
    Yes the mains lead is a concern as it doesn't look to be fused so I used an alternative lead instead.

I'm not sure if the lead supplied contains a fuse inside (not replaceable, obviously) but if not then Amptastic need to fix this quick. I'm 99% sure that goods sold in the uk must meet uk electrical safety standards, so a fused plug is mandatory!
    That's what I will do. And yes you are right, the mains lead as supplied does not meet UK standards.
    Barry

I'm Imjustsurviving.

didn't bother with my plug lead either this time but have used one in the past on my previous one with no problems
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I'm not sure if that is strictly true, after all, the old 15A round pin plugs are still legal & they had no fuses

The fuse is there to protect the cable feeding the PSU. The PSU probably has some kind of fuse internally, so as long as you don't go cutting through the mains cable or have rats chewing on it I don't see why your mains cable will be damaged...

Ok, so odd things do happen, but assuming you are normal & don't have rats or feel like getting the hedge clippers out in your front room I reckon you'll be ok
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

synsei Guest

Or you could just replace the mains lead for something better, like an MCRU No14 mains cable like I did...

EDIT: Oh dear, been suggested already...

I'm Dave.

Because typical British ring circuits can deliver more current than appliance flexible power cords can handle, BS 1363 plugs are required to carry a cartridge fuse.[14] The fuse is manufactured to BS 1362. The maximum load that can be placed on a socket is 13 A; triple and larger sockets are fitted with a 13 A fuse of the same type used in the plugs. The former BS546 standard relied on different sized sockets, and fuses installed at the consumer unit to protect both the permanent wiring and the appliance flexible cord.

15amp plugs and sockets no longer meet Current British Standards.

If you have old equipment with old plugs, then all is fine, but new equipment must meet the new standards!

Primary legislation: These Regulations constitute “safety regulations” under section
    11(1) of the Consumer Protection Act 1987.
    Supply of Electrical Devices: Specified plugs, adaptors and fuse links or cartridge
    fuse links for specified plugs, sockets and adaptors must comply with the specified
    standard, see Regulation 4 and Definitions in Regulation 3. However regulation 3(3)
    does recognize that where compliance to a British Standard is required a standard or
    specification recognized in another Member State may be used provided it gives an
    equivalent level of safety. A notified body must approve plugs to BS1363 (standard
    plugs) and conversion plugs. Where the use of a notified body is required, the
    notified body may approve products which provide an equivalent level of safety to
    the specified standard.
    Supply of Electrical Equipment: Specified domestic electrical equipment intended
    to be connected to the mains power supply via plug and socket outlet is required to
    be supplied fitted with a standard plug or conversion plug, see Regulation 12.
    Last edited by Griffy; 02-05-2012 at 22:21. Reason: Added more info
    Mac OSX Amarra/Decibel → Musical Fidelity X-Can V8 → AKG K702/Grado SR80 Headphones

Also Rega P3/Rb300/Ortofon Blue → Pro-Ject Phonobox II → Amptastic Mini-T → Ruark Talisman II

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    I'm not sure if that is strictly true, after all, the old 15A round pin plugs are still legal & they had no fuses

The fuse is there to protect the cable feeding the PSU. The PSU probably has some kind of fuse internally, so as long as you don't go cutting through the mains cable or have rats chewing on it I don't see why your mains cable will be damaged...

Ok, so odd things do happen, but assuming you are normal & don't have rats or feel like getting the hedge clippers out in your front room I reckon you'll be ok
    The old 15A round pin connectors were used on a radial system wherein every socket was individually fed by a cable of 15 or 20A rating and protected by a 15A fuse and were designed to supply loads of between 1kW and 3kW, such as electric fires. They were not intended to supply low consumption loads such as radios, TVs or reading lights. For that there was the 5A plug and socket and the 2A plug and socket. One could use a 15A to 5A adaptor, but that too was fitted with a 5A fuse. Many 2A and 5A plugs were fused internally.

As it stands, the plug fitted to the power supply lead does not conform to BS1363 and is therefore illegal.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

Just to be clear that I'm not unhappy with my purchase at all.

Just a warning to other users to swap out the supplied cable, and to Amptastic to change the cables before they get caught out!

Just to be clear that I'm not unhappy with my purchase at all.

Just a warning to other users to swap out the supplied cable, and to Amptastic to change the cables before they get caught out!
    That neatly sums it up Dave! Let's leave things there, before we go round and around and end up with our head up our arse.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast