+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2(.1) cents

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Beautiful room as always David - I love seeing Zeus in there too, is there any type of music he favours?

I really like the cabinet and its similar to what I plan to have later on, a nice clean lined wooden cabinet with just an amplifier visible on top and nothing else but the speakers. I'm 100% committed to file based audio now, so all I need is a volume knob and a tablet PC, everything else can be out of sight and hopefully, even in another room!

Thanks again for sharing your music room with us
    Thanks for the comments Tim. Zeus really doesn't have much of an ear for music. He just likes the company.

Best of luck on your computer audio. The mere convenience of being able to hide and stream music wherever you want it alone makes it a worthwhile endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Meep View Post
    Thanks David, very very cool.
    Craig.
    Thanks Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Where in the States are you David?
    I live in Jacksonville Florida. I grew up in Connecticut, but I've been here for awhile.

David

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
    I live in Jacksonville Florida. I grew up in Connecticut, but I've been here for awhile.

David
    I thought you were in that neck of the woods by the picture above your alcohol cabinet. I lived in Palm Coast for a while and loved it but, I know this sounds od, but I got a little board with the consistently good weather
    I remember there was a tropical storm, I went and stood outside and got drenched to the bone, But loved it

I'm David.

It's been awhile since I posted here, but better late than never. Moved into a new house, so still adjusting to the new listening space. The room sounds much better (more space to separate the speakers and higher ceilings are helping, I think), but I'm still not in love with the new setup. It'll do for now, though..

I'm Grant.

Looks fab David, and doggy seems happy to.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm David.

Picked up some new cabinets..

And while I'm add it, some more updated pics..

Last edited by Hoffer; 13-04-2015 at 11:12.

I'm Grant.

Very Bespoke..as I'd expect from you. a man of taste.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm David.

Thanks Grant. Always appreciate the comments.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi David,

How's it going? Hope you are well, and nice to see you checking in again Room looks FAB, as usual, with that 'homely but stylish/nicely understated' vibe of yours going on. Love it!

Interesting speaker positioning, though. Was that out of choice or for convenience/practicality reasons? Personally, I'd have put the speakers on either side of the fireplace and firing down the width, rather than length of the room, and the sofa across from them, with the equipment placed where the sofa is (if indeed that's possible).

Also, although the Cary preamp is 'designed' to sit on top of its PSU, that's not the best place for it, sonically. Separating the transformers from the preamp head unit, and 'delicate' components within, is the whole point of having a separate PSU, so you're kind of defeating that purpose by plonking one box on top of the other... If you can, try separating both units, and putting them further apart, and see how that sounds.

Furthermore, how do you find the gain with the Cary?

A mate of mine has the same preamp (which I recommended to him after seeing yours), and it's a VERY high-gain device, which means that with most recordings, you have very little control over the excursion of the volume knob, before the sound gets really loud. We found that reducing the gain right down, via the supplied left and right channel gain controls, thus allowing you to use the main volume control more, produced a sweeter and more musical sound.

Just wondered if you'd tried that? Also, the supplied 6SN7 tubes aren't the best, and significant improvements can be had by swapping them for some nice NOS Brimar black glass CV1988s, although those aren't cheap. It does however transform the preamp for the better, removing a slight 'grainy edge' that the stock tubes impart on the music, and producing a 'bigger' sound with a richer tone.

Anyway, just a few tips if you haven't already tried them... Enjoy - that's a great system and a lovely room you've got!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm David.

Hey Marco - good to hear from you. Glad you dig the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Interesting speaker positioning, though. Was that out of choice or for convenience/practicality reasons? Personally, I'd have put the speakers on either side of the fireplace and firing down the width, rather than length of the room, and the sofa across from them, with the equipment placed where the sofa is (if indeed that's possible).
    I had no choice. Believe me, I envisioned the setup just as you described, but the room didn't give me the option. I think it actually turned out for the best, though, as the room has a nice flow and openness to it and the couch now isn't the focal point of the space.

Also, although the Cary preamp is 'designed' to sit on top of the PSU, that's not the best place for it, sonically. Separating the transformers from the preamp head unit, and 'delicate' components within, is the whole point of having a separate PSU, so you're kind of defeating that purpose by plonking one box on top of the other... If you can, try separating both units, and putting them further apart, and see how that sounds.
    Interesting comment. As you say, Dennis Had designed these units to sit on top of each other, so I must admit I'm leery he would have done so without any thought to its disadvantages. Still, when I get a chance I'll try as you say and report back as to whether I thought it made a difference.

Furthermore, how do you find the gain with the Cary?

A mate of mine has the same preamp (which I recommended to him after seeing yours), and it's a VERY high-gain device, which means that with most recordings, you have very little control over the excursion of the volume knob, before the sound gets really loud. We found that reducing the gain right down, via the supplied left and right channel gain controls, thus allowing you to use the main volume control more, produced a sweeter and more musical sound.
    Now this is even more interesting. I've never noticed the volume control not being sensitive enough, but I agree that it is a rather "high gain" device. I'll definitely give this a go too.

Also, the supplied 6SN7 tubes aren't the best, and significant gains can be had by swapping them for some nice NOS Brimar black glass CV1988s, although those aren't cheap.
    Yeah, I swapped out the original tubes too. Right now I've been going back and forth with some NOS Tung Sols and Sylvania Tall Boys. I'd love to grab some Brimars, but those are a little tough to come by here in the states..
    Last edited by Hoffer; 12-04-2015 at 23:44.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Very nice David, I love those new cabinets . . . good to see Zeus is still enjoying life
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast