+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: My 2(.1) cents

I'm gone.

Beautiful cabinetry but those drivers do take some getting used to visually. Very different from a typical traditional smooth coned look.

I enjoyed my Thiels enormously, but the guy I eventually sold my CS2.3 on to was into heavy rock, and found the bass on them a bit too lean for his tastes. I suspect that is the Thiel Sound. I don't think he tried them with a sub.

I'm David.

Yeah, they're definitely "unique" in design and looks. And although I wouldn't say the bass is thin, it just doesn't have quite the slam as some others do. But given how dynamic they are, it's a minor point for me. My Focus Audio's never reached down much below 50, but once I added the REL, the bass filled in nicely. I imagine much will be the same with the Thiels.

And the cabinetry is, indeed, beautiful..

They fit nicely in the new room too..

I'm Neil.

Hmm I think a lot of what you are hearing is a lack of overhang; overhang can give a feeling of big bass and slam, but over time, you realise this is just a characteristic of most "normal" speakers as the drive units struggle to remain controlled.

You might struggle to integrate a sub for this reason.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm rupert.

I love the Zeus sub-woofer very nice !!

I'm gone.

I largely agree with Neil (yomanze).
    The bass on my 2.3 was lean, taut, muscular. What it didn't do was what I call "bass shudder". The excitement of deep bass slam was missing.
    I guess it may have sounded thin to my buyer, who probably wanted more obvious bass weight and, as you say, slam.
    If you can integrate a good sub with it, then problem solved. Although with almost all my music choices it wasn't a problem anyway.

I'm David.

Some changes..

Swapped the Cary for an Ayre KX 5 Twenty, upgraded the VIP with their fat boy tonearm and an AirTight PC-7.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011