+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Sounds light on bass

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

The reason I wasn't planning to change the tonearm yet is that I read the stock one wasn't that bad and should be further down the priority list of mods.
    It's not bad, within its limitations, and far from the worse thing on the turntable, as standard (the mat and feet come into that category). As usual, the results you get are largely governed by how much you're willing to spend.

You have my advice now on how to proceed from here. The fact is, you could have the most optimally set up AT 440 on the planet. It would matter little, as you don't like how it sounds in the context of your system.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

hi All,
    I think Marco has hit the nail on the head, i used an AT440ML in my Rock turntable for a while [which by the way is not known for being bass light] and although like many i marveled at its information retreival and exceptional tracking capabilities,i always found it a bit forward sounding and the mid range a bit weak, although this might not be the case in every system it was my findings and it did change slightly depending on weight and set up, but its over-all sonic presentation remained.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Deleted.

Blimey David, you've been quite generous with the credit card on the rest of the system, but when it comes to the TT you've become Mt Thrift (which is quite the wrong way round)! As a result, you've ended up with a right mullet - just buy the blooming cartridge Marco has recommended (though personally I haven't heard a Nagoaka in 20+ years) - it's a pittance compared to what you have spent on other components! Alternatively, bite the bullet and upgrade the deck properly, get a new arm and fit a decent MC cartridge.
    Account Deleted

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by indus View Post
    Are we all sure that nothing is being over looked? Could I have done something really stupid in the set up that has caused this? Would any further photos help?
    David - can you definitely confirm that the arm's VTA adjustment will not go any lower?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Blimey David, you've been quite generous with the credit card on the rest of the system, but when it comes to the TT you've become Mt Thrift (which is quite the wrong way round)! As a result, you've ended up with a right mullet - just buy the blooming cartridge Marco has recommended (though personally I haven't heard a Nagoaka in 20+ years) - it's a pittance compared to what you have spent on other components! Alternatively, bite the bullet and upgrade the deck properly, get a new arm and fit a decent MC cartridge.

I think I have been hinting at this a number of times with no response. Get your wallet out David and audition some of my suggestions, That system probably would accomodate something much more exotic even. I think you have been a bit swayed by the Techie fanboys on here.

Hi Paul,

I think I have been hinting at this a number of times with no response.
    On the contrary, David has already explained exactly why he's done what he's done:

My reasoning for buying it was that I could really test the SL1200 hypothesis ie that with some well thought out mods it can perform to a high level. With the Whest in the chain I would know that nothing else is holding it back (ie I already have decent preamp, amps, speakers etc)

The plan was to throw some money at the Tech and see if I could hear improvements. If I could then I'd continue down that road and spend more on it. If I couldn't hear improvements then I'd strip the Tech back to standard and flog it and the mods. Then I'd try a different (more expensive/high end) deck...
    Which part of that have you failed to grasp?

It may be an unconventional approach, but I understand why he's decided to carry things out that way. In fact, it's rather novel and quite sensible, given that he hasn't yet decided what his T/T is going to be. The Technics is rather unique, in terms of the requirements needed for someone unexperienced to ascertain what its potential is.

I'm sure that otherwise David would simply have shelled out for an appropriate T/T, in keeping with the rest of his system, but then likely ended up with just A-N-other belt-drive T/T, and missed out on what quality direct-drive turntables are sonically capable of...

Get your wallet out David and audition some of my suggestions, That system probably would accomodate something much more exotic even.
    Such as? It all comes down to how much David is willing to spend on a turntable. We all know that a stock SL-1200/1210 is, sonically, nothing special. It only becomes so, when judicious modifications have been carried out. Trust me, you would need only a listen to a T/T like Martin's or mine to realise this.

If David's not willing to spend what it takes to turn his Techy into a serious high-end T/T, or even just a very good one, then by all means he should quit now and go a different route, but at the moment he's still at the most basic stage of his plan! Therefore, I think it's wise for him to continue what he set out to do.

Indeed, if he'd listened to me in the first place, before buying the Audio Technica, he'd have been somewhat further on in his quest.....

I think you have been a bit swayed by the Techie fanboys on here.
    There are no such "fanboys" here; merely very satisfied users of what is (when suitably modified) an exceptionally good turntable. Whether David succeeds in realising that fact for himself, or not, remains to be seen.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Paul,

On the contrary, David has already explained exactly why he's done what he's done:

Which part of that have you failed to grasp?

It may be an unconventional approach, but I understand why he's decided to carry things out that way.

Such as? It all comes down to how much David is willing to spend on a turntable. We all know that a stock SL-1200/1210 is, sonically, nothing special. It only becomes so, when judicious modifications have been carried out. Trust me, you would need only a listen to a T/T like Martin's or mine to realise this.

If David's not willing to spend what it takes to turn his Techy into a serious high-end T/T, or even just a very good one, then by all means he should quit now and go a different route, but at the moment he's still at the most basic stage of his plan! Therefore, I think it's wise for him to continue what he set out to do.

Indeed, if he'd listened to me in the first place, before buying the Audio Technica, he'd have been somewhat further on in his quest.....
    Marco. I have not failed to grasp anything David has explained. I'm just not convinced he may be going down the right path for him. Frankly given the revealing (and expensive) nature of the system I believe he needs to start with a higher level of front end whether it is a modified Technics or a high end belt drive. I don't think he is going to be satisfied with merely a change of cartridge. I don't presume to know his budget but he stated he has gone for the best he can afford elsewhere so why not the record deck if he is serious ?

There are no such "fanboys" here; merely very satisfied users of what is (when suitably modified) an exceptionally good turntable. Whether David succeeds in realising that fact for himself, or not, remains to be seen.

Marco.
    The 'fanboys' comment was obviously tonge in cheek but given your enthusiasm for your own superb set up I think David may have failed to consider the alternatives. I think his 'unconventional' approach may have been triggered by unfounded expectations of the standard SL1200.

I think putting forward an alternative viewpoint may be helpfull in David coming to the right decision for him. He has a superb set up and I think he should be getting fantastic SQ with all sources especialy vinyl.

I'm david.

Martin, I'm pretty sure the vta will not go any lower. It's on the lowest setting (ie the one even below the 0 mark) and seems to be working correctly. I will double double chec today though.

Paul, I think what you say has a lot of merit. Perhaps it is time to just review what I'm doing and how I'm going about it.

Mark, I'm happy to throw a few quid at the Nagaoka but I just need to make sure it's the right thing. No point buying that and then two days later realising that it still doesn't hit the mark. Or buy the Jelco arm and then realise quickly that I need somethhing better.

It might be better for me to 'go high' right from the beginning ie top end arm and cart in one go. This will be quite a gamble though as in itself that will cost and to get the best out of them I'll have to replace the other weak link ie the psu (and perhaps bearing)

So that could be £2k in a very short space of time. Though I really want a good vinyl system I'm not sure I want to throw mega money at it as it will never replace CD for me.

I was hoping for a happy medium ie tech + decent cart+ feet+mat+ cheaper psu = decent sounding system for a reasonable amount of money. And then perhaps continue to mod if I really had the bug but having something nice to listen to in the mean time.

Anyway, I need to have a bit of a think
    System:

SL1210 > Whest PS 3.0RDT> Audio Research LS17 pre> Lyngdorf RP1 room correction> Lyngdorf sda 2175 > Monitor Audio Platinum 300 speakers

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It all comes down to how much David is willing to spend on a turntable. We all know that a stock SL-1200/1210 is, sonically, nothing special. It only becomes so, when judicious modifications have been carried out.

Marco.

I'd sorta disagree that the stock deck is 'nothing special'. A good used example picked up for around the £200 mark cannot be beaten at the price. Properly set up and with a sympathetic cartridge it can hold its own against decks costing a lot more. It's metronomic timing and bass depth/slam abilities are way ahead of the field, as is build quality.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I was hoping for a happy medium ie tech + decent cart+ feet+mat+ cheaper psu = decent sounding system for a reasonable amount of money.
    Thing is, you've only scratched the surface so far, in terms of carrying out the above modifications, and yet you appear to be expecting to get most of the way there by simply changing the arm's headshell and buying a mediocre cartridge...

It's time to up the ante, me thinks!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast