Thread: Sounds light on bass

I'm david.

Default Sounds light on bass

Hi there

I've carried out the following mods on my sl1210

1) Isonoae feet

2) Sumiko headshell

3) Audio Technica 440 cart.

4) I had a problem balancing the arm due to the weight of the head/cart. I ordered the additional weight and now it is balanced with appropriate tracking force and anti skate applied

5) I aligned the cart with a Stevenson protractor.

6) VTA I found a bit tricky. To my eye it seems the same level whether at the maximum or minimum setting. I can't do it by ear as the deck is right next to one of the speakers, so I can't hear things accurately.

I asked my wife to have a listen from the sitting position but that didn't really work. I have ordered a tonearm spirit level to sort this issue out.

7) I have removed the perspex cover

After all this, things sound very good except in terms of the bass. The bass seems light and without authority. There is no 'slam' to the bass. To make things clear I am not after muddy distorted bass, however my large floor standers are capable of producing clean, prodigious, low bass. But I'm not hearing it.

Is it the cart?

Thanks
    System:

SL1210 > Whest PS 3.0RDT> Audio Research LS17 pre> Lyngdorf RP1 room correction> Lyngdorf sda 2175 > Monitor Audio Platinum 300 speakers

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

A photo of the pointy end of the arm might help
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by indus View Post

6) VTA I found a bit tricky. To my eye it seems the same level whether at the maximum or minimum setting. I can't do it by ear as the deck is right next to one of the speakers, so I can't hear things accurately.

I asked my wife to have a listen from the sitting position but that didn't really work. I have ordered a tonearm spirit level to sort this issue out.
    To get the top of your headshell parallel to the surface of the record get a piece of paper and draw as accurately as you can lines millimetres apart and parallel to the lower edge.

Place the arm on a record (not spinning!) and offer up the paper to the headshell while resting it on the record. You can then sight the top of the headshell with the lines you have drawn and see at once if it is low or high in reference to the record. Simple
    Simon.

I'm david.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    A photo of the pointy end of the arm might help

Hi Chris

How would a photo of the end of my arm help you help me with this issue?

Thanks
    System:

SL1210 > Whest PS 3.0RDT> Audio Research LS17 pre> Lyngdorf RP1 room correction> Lyngdorf sda 2175 > Monitor Audio Platinum 300 speakers

I'm david.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddles View Post
    To get the top of your headshell parallel to the surface of the record get a piece of paper and draw as accurately as you can lines millimetres apart and parallel to the lower edge.

Place the arm on a record (not spinning!) and offer up the paper to the headshell while resting it on the record. You can then sight the top of the headshell with the lines you have drawn and see at once if it is low or high in reference to the record. Simple

Thanks Simon. I've ordered a tonearm spirit level now so that should sort that problem out
    System:

I'm Deleted.

When people write about setting VTA by ear they mean that you should make an adjustment and then sit down to listen for a bit, then go and make another adjustment to the VTA, sit down and listen to the same extract again etc. They don't mean that you should be able to hear the sonic impact of the adjustment as you are making it at the deck, it's too subtle for that.

When setting the arm parallel to the record you have to have your eye level absolutely level with the record surface - the difference between minimum and maximum settings should then be pretty obvious.

Are you sure that this bass lightness you refer to isn't because the cartridge or speakers are not wired out of relative phase - this is an easy mistake to make and results in very much reduced bass weight.
    Last edited by YNWaN; 11-04-2012 at 22:11.
    Account Deleted

I'm david.

Thanks Mark. VTA comments noted.

The speakers are not wired out of phase as when I play a CD through the same system the bass is all there. I'm not sure what you mean by the cart being wired out of phase, do you mean the four coloured cart wires? If so I've checked those as well and they are correct.

This may mean nothing but I'll mention it anyway. I have noticed that my phono leads that come from the deck fit very loosely on the phono preamp. All my other leads (mainly Mark Grant stuff) fit very tightly ie you have to pyhsically push them on and it takes some effort to get them off.

With the phono leads from the deck they seem to connect onto the phono pre without any effort and will come off again in the same way ie they do not seem like a tight fit.

Probably nothing to do with my bass issue though!
    System:

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by indus View Post
    Hi Chris

How would a photo of the end of my arm help you help me with this issue?

Thanks
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Andy.

Tracking weight? Definately sounds like a set-up issue, Techies are not bass light.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

MartinT Guest

Hi David - as previously stated, the Technics deck is noted for its good bass quality and extension. If you are certain that the deck is on a level surface and the arm is properly setup (especially tracking weight), then you may need to look at your phono/preamp settings. The AT is an MM cartridge so it will need to be connected to a phono input offering 47k load impedance. Can you verify that?
    Last edited by MartinT; 12-04-2012 at 12:00.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast