+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Enhanced Digital Output App for Squeezebox Touch

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by electric beach View Post
    If you use the Squeezebox Touch with any external Dac, I'd say it's an essential thing to try and is just what's needed to allow the full potential of the Touch. Thanks to Triode, the designer, for a very impressive piece of work.
    As with any mod, the important part of the equation is the time needed to spend with the change, in order to evaluate it. I fell in love with this mod immediately, but later on wanted to make sure I'm not merely nursing the much dreaded 'expectation bias'. So I borrowed a friend's 'vanilla' Touch, and set it up as a parallel transport in my system. Now I was ready to do the side-by-side comparison.

Much to my surprise, I found that initially I tended to prefer the 'vanilla' Touch. I felt that the modded Touch somehow lacked something. The good news, to me at least, was that the two transports definitely sounded different, beyond any trace of a doubt. At least I don't think all that effort was in vain. But the problem was why was I prone to favor the plain vanilla box?

So I did some more comparative test listening. To cut the long story short, turned out that I was gravitating toward my crusty old habits, formed over the decades of listening to distorted, jittery digital music. Old habits die hard, and my ears have been accustomed to hearing that special 'digital nervousness' in the sound, which tends to introduce certain exaggerated presentation of the reproduced music.

With the modded Touch, this digital nervousness seems to have been somewhat tamed, and those digital artifacts that were responsible for creating the exaggerated effects have vanished. Because of that, the music now sounds less exaggerated, more natural, and I'm becoming aware of the need to adjust my expectations while going over the familiar old passages.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    For some reason, after installing the Triode applet, and then adding TT3.0 on top of it, you cannot change the alsa buffer size. Yes, you can still go tt -b 3200, and the system will pretend to take it and it will reboot, but if you then go tt -s, you'll see that the buffer is stuck at 20000.
    MCR, you're right. Just checked and it leaves it at 20000.

To add to the debate, I did some tests a while ago on CPU usage within the SBT (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showp...8&postcount=79). A less thorough test (on the Pergolesi track) just now suggests lower CPU usage meaning more idle time. This fits in with what I think I read about Triode's approach of removing complexity.

Chris

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    MCR, you're right. Just checked and it leaves it at 20000.

To add to the debate, I did some tests a while ago on CPU usage within the SBT (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showp...8&postcount=79). A less thorough test (on the Pergolesi track) just now suggests lower CPU usage meaning more idle time. This fits in with what I think I read about Triode's approach of removing complexity.

Chris
    Interesting findings. Kind of speaks in support of Soundcheck's TT3.0 approach -- remove complexity by getting rid of any and all unnecessary processing. That's why I went all the way with his mods: I've disabled the screen, disabled the wi fi, disabled the analog outs, disabled the digital volume control, and killed all the daemon jobs. Now that SBT is running in the bare bones mode, the noise floor dropped and I'm getting a more transparent sound.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Didn't get much of a chance to see what SQ differences there were, but I would say no more than modest. I'll have a better listen over the w/e but don't think I'll have time to A-B.
    First, please note I have the soundcheck TT 3 mods applied.

Listening to some well recorded classical, both red book and hi res and I must say that there is an improvement and it's more than modest on both formats. I can hear distinctly improved resolution and stronger tonal colours to give instruments a more accurate and natural sound. Playing Mozart Divertimenti and the standout improvements are to bass and tympani. Lovely. I would say the level of benefit is in the order of a cable upgrade (sticking my neck out here, I know).

I would have happily paid good money for this improvement, more than a SBT costs. As it is, it's free and is simple to apply with soundcheck TT 3 mods (or trivial without them).

Many thanks to Triode.

I'm Ian.

had gone back to my MHZs CD player but this mod is pretty impressive I might be changing my mind - many thanks for the heads up.

I'm Lucky.

This mod certainly seems to change the sound of the SBT. It has altered the bass of my unit making complex rhythms pacier. It has also made the sound a bit smoother - not sure if this a good thing yet.
    The Man with the suit and the pace. Knee deep in the dead.

I'm Dave.

Very happy with this as it enables me to use my HRT Music Streamer II+ which is usb input only.

Now I have no need to use the mac (for my hifi stuff anyway) except to run the Squeezebox server. The SBT outputs into the HRT, and then into the pre. Wonderful!

I'm Adam.

My DAC is an old 1990s vintage Dacmagic so doesn't do 192 or even 96 bitrates.
    However, I am still interested in this mod if it improves the SQ at lower bitrates.

My only question is - I have my SBT connected via it's analogue outputs to my integrated amp (for higher bitrate stuff) and via it's digital outputs to the Dacmagic (for lower bitrates). If I apply this mod does it disable the analogue outputs (meaning I will not be able to listen to high bitrate music) ?
    Adam.

I'm Brynly.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    For some reason, after installing the Triode applet, and then adding TT3.0 on top of it, you cannot change the alsa buffer size. Yes, you can still go tt -b 3200, and the system will pretend to take it and it will reboot, but if you then go tt -s, you'll see that the buffer is stuck at 20000.

There is a workaround for that, but it's a bit too technical, so I won't bore you here...
    Any views on whether it's best to install Soundcheck TT3.0 first, then the Triode applet, or the TT3.0 on top of the applet?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Brynly,

Welcome to AoS

Please see this thread, and do the necessary, ASAP: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17333

Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast