+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone tried a Furman conditioner

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Hi Martin, a friend of mine has an Isotek & I have a few Belkin PF40s & a PF30. Ok, so it's not one of these but in reality there won't be a huge difference as long as they are properly designed

All these filters are are effectively made up of differential mode & common mode filters, which are simply windings of wire on some form of core to create an inductor. These are followed by capacitors to increase the rolloff characteristics of the filter itself.

While they could all be implemented in a different way, the end result should be similar, again assuming they are well designed.

The problem is is you need to determine the maximum impedance that you are willing to put between the mains line & the equipment. Ideally it'd be zero, but that is physically impossible So the chokes have certain impedance which increases at higher frequency & decreases at lower frequency. Most interference is pretty high in frequency so a high impedance will prevent this getting to your kit.

The more powerful your kit is the lower the impedance the supply needs to be to prevent the mains voltage from dropping due to the load. So in reality you need to use pretty thick wire on the inductor to keep the impedance low, you also need to design the thing so it doesn't filter at too low a frequency or current pulses charging the power supply capacitors of your amplifier will be affected - thus altering the sound.

As an example the PF40 when new was more than a few hundred pounds & works as well as my friends Isotek (can't remember the model right now). But the Isotek is made of nice thick slabs of laser cut aluminium. The money on them has really gone to the fancy casework, where as the PF40 isn't as fancy but does the job just as well.

Can't comment on these things as I have never used one. But if they are well designed I'd expect them to do what it says on the tin
    Just plug in your gear and listen, what more is there to do? As for a PF40 or PF30 working as well as an IsoTek, be serious young man! On the end of what sort of system?

thx

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by goraman View Post
    I would rather an APC my H110 has cleans up power nicely and is high current.
    I dont think that those are available in UK?

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    Just plug in your gear and listen, what more is there to do? As for a PF40 or PF30 working as well as an IsoTek, be serious young man! On the end of what sort of system?

thx
    I was thinking about it - heres one of the IsoTeks - GII Solus:

upgraded to "minisub"

Furmans Elite something

My impression is that once those products are marketed as "hifi" one can witness fascinating process of upgraded looks mixed with increased amount of audiophile air inside

Here's Belkin PF40

Im being slightly cheeky here of course. However I quite like the no nonsense attitude of products designed for "pro" market. After all, if something works inside recording studio - surely its quality will be sufficient for home use as well?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12