+ Reply to Thread

Thread: From tales of woe to tales of wow!

Default From tales of woe to tales of wow!

This came about as a result of being systematically ground down by the girlfriend about ugly black steel and cables in our modest sized living room .

The 'rack' is two Ikea norrebo storage benches, the top one has been sliced, these are solid beech, and are pretty substantial, they have threaded feet, and are spiked to the floor. The vinyl storage cubes are not the overpriced icubes, but clones made in Cardiff and sold on ebay, the lad very kindly delivered them to me for a fiver.

The first iteration was taller, with the tt & amp along the top shelf, ergonomically this was great, but I couldn't help but think it looked like a teenagers wanna-be DJ booth stuck in the corner of our living room, so the plan was to get a nicer look together with some decent isolation for the 1210. Phase 2 was to slice the top bench and re-use the front panel of the redundant box that should sit under the bench, with the help of my neighbour I created a box for the 1210 to sit inside, the result now see's the 1210 spiked to a 1" deep granite slab, which sits on 2" of silver sand. So the 1210 is now encased in a WAF friendly solid beech 'plinth' and I'm happy as it's 'kin heavy, very solid and as isolated as it can be within reason.

The 1210's arm hasn't escaped either as I've had a custom brass counterweight made by Thrunobulax that now allows greater mass closer to the pivot resulting in better transient response and bass grip, now together with the Cardas re-wire direct to cardas din plug, silicone damping and upgraded headshell and wires - it's transformed . Finally the 103pro has been pimped with a 'brazilian' so too speak! giving me greater mass and a better interface with the headshell...nearly soiled myself when fitting it though, as my thumb nearly trashed one of the hair like wires, not one for the faint hearted ... or fixed headshell really.

Let's just say the girlfriend is happier now! I know it looks like a chav 'lifestyle' bodge, but since I have braced both the benches and spiked them - it's as solid as any rack I've had before.

A big thankyou to John (Thrunobulax) for his handy work and patience, I've sprayed it silver John...sorry mate

The rest of my system ...'tis in a state of flux at the moment, by the end of the month I'll be running a bespoke integrated MM / valve line stage and active quad standmounts.

The stupid thing is that within 24 hours of getting the 103 back, I was depatching my phonostage, speakers and cables to pay for the new stuff . I did get a couple of hours of vinyl in though and revelled in the wide open sound, although unfortunately not long enough to form an opinion on the nude 103....but I'll be back.

Last edited by scoobs; 10-02-2008 at 17:43.

I'm Buffet-blower.

V nice Nick - big bugger isn't it! Looks well solid.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

Thanks Rich, yeah the 1210 isn't exactly lightweight, and the whole thing together is quite a bruiser. Cables will be with you tomorrow mate.

Admin, please remove my multiple posts.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread