+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FLAC to WAV Conversion

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Audiocom View Post
    Hi Leo

Thanks for the information to the firmware selector. It is now running with the option to select one version only. Is there a source to downloads older versions, I could not find the older versions at the Logitech site.

I expect there are other contributors to what we are each perceiving between the quality of WAV versus FLAC. In our system, WAV sounds closer to the CD transport whereas FLAC sounds like better mp3.

Have you listened to the Duet with a linear supply? I have a Paul Hynes SR1 here which I have yet to try. There are two set-ups I am keen to test;

SB CLASSIC + PH SR1 SUPPLY w/ DIGITAL OUT TO SONY DAS-R1 >
    SB TRANSPORTER w/ DIGITAL OUT TO SONY DAS-R1 >

I have had several customers give up CD players for the SB Transporter including owners of Teac Esoteric products.

Best Wishes
    Mark Bartlett

Hi Mark,

Here you go http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/
    I've only tried FW48 and FW55 with the Receiver now using SC 7.3.1, I'm not sure if the older versions would cause any issues, it maybe fine but just as a precaution

The Paul Hynes regs are superb! I was very impressed with the improvements they brought to my Sabre dac, these replaced well filtered LM317/337 for the output stage and fixed LDO types for the dac run from a linear psu.
    I'd imagine his SR1 would be a huge leap over the SMPS

As you know the receiver also uses internal switchers for the 3v3/1v2 supplies and a standard 5v LDO for the internal dac, there should be lots of gains to be had with some mods to the receiver and I'm looking forward to having a play with it

Cheers,
    Leo
    Last edited by leo; 02-01-2009 at 13:20.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    It seems people have been reporting differences between f/w levels for some years, it would seem any noted sound differences between WAV and FLAC on the SB is more down to the f/w than the file format.
    Hi

If different f/w sounds better/worse, then one would expect that any changes noted in quality between WAV & FLAC would close or widen depending on the choice of f/w.

Not experimented with f/w yet, but if the current performance gap heard between WAV & FLAC can be changed with f/w it would be interesting. My guess, as already pointed out by somebody previously in the thread, that the differing KBPS rate and processing between WAV & FLAC are key reasons they sound different. Only time
    will tell.

Best Wishes
    Mark

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    Hi Mark,

Here you go http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/
    I've only tried FW48 and FW55 with the Receiver now using SC 7.3.1, I'm not sure if the older versions would cause any issues, it maybe fine but just as a precaution

The Paul Hynes regs are superb! I was very impressed with the improvements they brought to my Sabre dac, these replaced well filtered LM317/337 for the output stage and fixed LDO types for the dac run from a linear psu.
    I'd imagine his SR1 would be a huge leap over the SMPS

As you know the receiver also uses internal switchers for the 3v3/1v2 supplies and a standard 5v LDO for the internal dac, there should be lots of gains to be had with some mods to the receiver and I'm looking forward to having a play with it

Cheers,
    Leo
    Hello Leo

Thanks for that, I will take a look.

Yes, adding the PH SR1 is a no brainer, the crude SMPS = NOISE.

I have not yet looked at upgrading the switchers in the DUET, the wireless card ideally should come out to gain good access, and commercially this has limited viability. If you are using it for digital out only then I suggest a Bybee Slipstream purifier on the DC input, replace the input bypass cap with OS-CON, add a Bybee Slipstream for digital out, as a start; performance gains are impressive.

Best Wishes
    Mark

I'm Neal.

Tony, do you have f/w v83...or v86 and v88 available....I'd like to give them a try.

Mark, I don't think the data rate has anything to do with it, certainly for the SB. FLAC data has to be converted back into it's original form at some point either prior to sending or by the SB itself.....however, interesting to note I've set the decoding to be done on the server and not by the SB...I wonder....

I'm Tony.

I'm on Version 47 on the SB Receiver and 81 on my SB3.

SC7.2 -22900

Cheers,
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Audiocom View Post
    Hello Leo

Thanks for that, I will take a look.

Yes, adding the PH SR1 is a no brainer, the crude SMPS = NOISE.

I have not yet looked at upgrading the switchers in the DUET, the wireless card ideally should come out to gain good access, and commercially this has limited viability. If you are using it for digital out only then I suggest a Bybee Slipstream purifier on the DC input, replace the input bypass cap with OS-CON, add a Bybee Slipstream for digital out, as a start; performance gains are impressive.

Best Wishes
    Mark
    Hi Mark,

Thank you, I'm hoping to start a new thread in the diy section soon on modding the Receiver, it should prove interesting, lots to try

Cheers,
    Leo

Tony, do you have f/w v83...or v86 and v88 available....I'd like to give them a try.

Mark, I don't think the data rate has anything to do with it, certainly for the SB. FLAC data has to be converted back into it's original form at some point either prior to sending or by the SB itself.....however, interesting to note I've set the decoding to be done on the server and not by the SB...I wonder....
    I've got V83 and V84 saved somewhere on my HD if you want them

V88 can be found here http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.0.2/

I'm Tony.

Hi Neal,

Sorry, no, I only have SB2/3 versions 15,25,48,55,64 and 81!

Which version of SC do the versions you want to try come from? I do have some previous versions of SC.

Cheers,
    Tony
    ps ok seems like you're sorted!
    Last edited by Tony Moore; 02-01-2009 at 13:49. Reason: just read Leo's post

I'm Neal.

Thanks Tony...

Leo, thanks for the link...do you still have my email address, if so I'd appreciate it if you send them over.

Cheers!

Thanks Tony...

Leo, thanks for the link...do you still have my email address, if so I'd appreciate it if you send them over.

Cheers!
    Hi Neal,

I lost most of my emails and links when the HD went down so if you PM or mail me I'll send them ASAP

At least the FW selector makes things easy so if you hear no difference or if others sound worse than what your using its easy to change back

Cheers,
    Leo
    Last edited by leo; 02-01-2009 at 15:16.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast