+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My son wants to sell his Quad for an AV system!

I'm Chris.

Part 1 - in response to the LG 42LW550T...

Plugged the LG in today in order to set it up and I just cannot get any of the HDMI inputs to work. I tried everything and it will not sense a signal from both the Playstation 3 and Sky HD box. I reset to factory defaults twice - switched appliances on and off - used different HDMI leads including one which I know is 1.4 compliant - upgraded the firmware on the LG to the latest - tried other HDMI devices - but "nothing".

The Aerial works fine and so do the menus and Internet (otherwise I could not do the firmware update) - but I just cannot get the HDMI signal through. I reckon its faulty unless I am missing a trick somewhere along the line??? HELP!

I'm Mark.

It wont auto detect a HDMI signal as far as I know. ( not many do as some dont devices follow any standards, e.g. always on)

Press ' Input' on the remote to bring up a menu called 'Input list' then choose the HDMI socket that you have connected the PS3 or Sky to.

I think you can rename the inputs to make selecting easier.

Was there an instruction manual in the box

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Grant View Post
    It wont auto detect a HDMI signal as far as I know. ( not many do as some dont devices follow any standards, e.g. always on)

Press ' Input' on the remote to bring up a menu called 'Input list' then choose the HDMI socket that you have connected the PS3 or Sky to.

I think you can rename the inputs to make selecting easier.

Was there an instruction manual in the box
    Hello Mark - thanks very much for your assistance - during my efforts of trying to get the TV to work, I did select the INPUTs manually, but with no success. What I did notice is that when devices were plugged into the TV HDMI socket the socket indicators on the screen GUI would highlight indicating there was a device present - so the TV can detect a connection but will not accept the signal coming from the connection?

I read the manual from top to bottom... I will kick myself if there is a simple answer!

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Check if you have another type of connection from the device that you could plug into the TV. If you have, go into the menu of the device that you aren't getting a picture of (on HDMI) & check the HDMI output settings via this other connection.

Every TV that I know of will accept RGB colourspace via the HDMI socket, but I'm not sure about Y,CR,CB... Some do, the more expensive ones.

It's possible that it can detect a device plugged in, but can't display the information or picture. The HDMI handshake doesn't take place over the picture connections, but via data connections.

If you have an auto setting on the device, set it to that as the TV will tell it what to output
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Mark.

I guess the sky box and PS3 have previously been connected by scart for the sky box and composite from the PS3 via the AV output connector.

To fix the PS3 put it into standy and then hold the power button pressed until the PS3 makes two beeps, sometimes about 4 to 5 seconds.
    This resets the video output settings in the PS3 to default which will enable the HDMI output as if by magic

The sky box will be similar and as Mark says you will need to connect it with another connection type so you can get to the set up menus in the sky box.
    there is also a hidden installer menu in the sky box although no use until you can see the picture on the screen.

I'm Chris.

Both the reseller and LG tech support decided that the TV needed taking back because it was faulty, so I am anticipating a replacement TV soon...

I'm Chris.

Still waiting....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234