+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 72 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Could this be a 'giant-killing' tonearm cable?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Arrow Could this be a 'giant-killing' tonearm cable?

Guys,

I've taken a punt on this rather interesting looking tonearm cable, from a designer in Greece, which is described as

"Pure solid OCC silver (6N) shielded tonearm / phono cable - Litz geometry"

Some pics:

Lots more info here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2209670896...84.m1438.l2649

The construction techniques and materials used look very interesting indeed, and I suspect that this cable will offer superb SPPV. Any views on this? It seems like exceptional value for £159!

For a bit of fun, I intend to compare it to a (superb) Furutech AG-12 tonearm cable, which I have here already: http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/t...237532913.html

...and which retails for £435, and see what happens... I'm curious to know if this cable from Greece can deliver the goods or not. Watch this space!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

The chap who makes them, recognised my name, as he has visited AoS before, and so has since made the following suggestion (which I've accepted):

The cable you have chosen consists of two separate cables (double run). Each cable carries four solid conductors in a Litz braid geometry. Instead of this type of arrangement you may want to consider a single run (i.e. a cable with 4 conductors in a Litz braid which splits into 2 twisted pairs).

We work with lots of different designs and geometries and I believe that the single run does actually perform better than the double especially in unbalanced arrangements. The overall capacitance is lower, the 28AWG conductors are more than sufficient to carry the low level signal, while the Faraday Cage shielding (and ground) arrangement is slightly more efficient under the single run structure.

So in the future we will be replacing the DIN-RCA and RCA-RCA versions of the 428Phono with a single run (leaving the double run as optional upon request).

I just thought that you may want to consider this option since its price is actually lower than the cable you have chosen while it will perform even better. The inner cable structure and materials are exactly the same. At the outer level, on top of the shield we now use 3 layers for electrical and mechanical protection (Teflon insulation, PVC flexible jacket and Viablue braided sleeve).
    Seems like good advice... Should be interesting, anyway. If they're good, it'll be another valid cable option for folks here looking to get the biggest bang for their buck!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm John.

I think he's actually a Brit living in Greece (in beautiful Chalkidiki no less).
    There is a very positive buzz about his cables in audiophile circles in this neck of the woods - he uses different materials from the Cardas/Mogami/Canare stables down to some really exotic silver ones; I've heard that craftsmanship is top notch as well and given the prices - this might be a true bargain. I am really looking forward to hear what you make of them Marco.

Nice one, John, and thanks for the info... I suspect you could be right. They just 'smelled good' to me, and appealed to my gut instincts!

Yannis (the chap who makes them) also seems to have considerable experience in working with various cable materials and construction methods, and is a real enthusiast, which for me, sent out all the right signals.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Deleted.

Well at £160 I would say it is already doing pretty well on the value for money front as it states the conductors are solid silver (your Furutech ones are silver plated copper I think).
    Account Deleted

That's what I was thinking, Mark.. Also, bear in mind that the one he's making for me (a single run version, i.e. a cable with 4 conductors in a Litz braid which splits into 2 twisted pairs), is even cheaper - and apparently better!

Does this cable tick some 'right boxes' for you, as it does for me?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Neil.

Looks very interesting indeed

Regards D S D L

I'm Deleted.

The construction sounds promising Marko - the silver wire running in over sized Teflon tubes idea is a well respected one and the whole thing is properly shielded (which it should be) - the connectors all look to be good and the overall thing certainly looks the business.

I suspect you will be pleased

(the only thing is it has a 90 degrees arm connector - will this work OK with your arm and plinth? - the pic of your current cable shows it with a straight DIN connector)
    Account Deleted

Yes, Mark - no problem with that, as I also tried an AG-12 with a right-angled connector, shown below, before getting the straight one:

I can use both types on my T/T. Glad you seem to like the Greek one. I have a good feeling about it, so the comparison should be interesting

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Deleted.

Cool, well I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work well - I think it will more depend on how you feel about solid silver compared to silver plated copper.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 72 1231151 ... LastLast