+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound Hi-Fi 1210 - First Impressions

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    you could always try a sheet of electro-magnetic interference (EMI) suppressant material underneath the turntable
    That was where my thinking was going. So what sort of material is best and where could I get it from? Or would an earthed sheet of mild steel do the trick?

I'm Nick.

Well I just knew it as Mu-Metal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu-metal but I don't know if it is also marketed under any specific brandname. I'm sure that someone here would be able to point to somewhere where you could get some - or Google may be a good starting place : http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...UK%7CcountryGB
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Martin,

I've got to this one quite late. I just wanted to say congrats on your new turntable. It looks great and I hope you get lots of musical enjoyment from it

I've had too much booze now to write coherently but will comment more later. Happy New Year!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

Happy New Year to everyone! Too much mulled wine here...

I'm Paul.

Mu metal can be hard to get hold of but for the level of interference you probably have a large sheet of brushed aluminium from Maplins or Rapid Electronics will do the job. You will need to earth though. This can be done by drilling a 3mm hole in one corner and bolting a ring crimp connector connected to an earth lead using a star washer. What ever you use it really needs to be earthed in order to work properly.

What do yoy think about the PS Audio Power Plant. Howard done a demo for me a while ago and it done many things right but I felt it made the treble a bit too smooth for my liking. However thinking of using it for everything but the power amp or pulling my trusty back up Kel84 amp and bi amping, using the Kel84 on the treble without it going through the power plant.
    ~Paul~

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    What do yoy think about the PS Audio Power Plant
    I used to run a Power Plant P300 just feeding my source components. It certainly enhanced the system with a lower noise floor, greater detail and sense of clean transparency. When I upgraded to the Premier I could at last plug the power amp in too, since it can supply a total of 1.5kW to components. This gave huge benefits, much more so than I expected from a design using a switched mode power supply. Now my system's synergy is superb with everything playing from a black noise floor, crystalline clarity and smooth extended treble.

It could be that you are hearing a small roughness in your system being removed by the Premier. It does have a smoothing effect, but listen further and you will hear more shape and texture to the notes. The PPP really is a mandatory system upgrade, in my opinion, for all systems that have reached a fundamentally good level of performance. I know of no other way of upgrading a system by so much for relatively little outlay.

I'm Paul.

Thanks Martin,
    ~Paul~

MartinT Guest

Dave - I want to get my cartridge alignment as precise as I can. What is the best alignment method or protractor to use with the Jelco 250?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    ... the best alignment method or protractor to use with the Jelco 250?
    Call Yip at mintlp.com and tell him you have a SL1200 with a Jelco 250.. he 'll send you his magic Best Tractor
    *** In Stylus Veritas! ***

I use the Clearaudio one; very, very expensive! There will be people here that can help though?

BTW http://www.tonepublications.com/ToneAudio/Magazine.html want to review one, and they shall!!

Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast