+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Daffodils on Fort Royal Hill

I'm Steve.

Wow.. That is amazing value.
    Have fun, and post some pics.
    When the spring sun comes out, play around with the different 'film' settings. Just fantastic definition and a lovely sharp lense... and as Hamish has shown, great depth of field brings a 'zing' to pics.
    Pleased for you!

I'm David.

Yeah, good work Mark! I'm sure you will itch be very happy together
    X10 at £300ish is indeed tempting!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm King.

Base on my experience with the X10, during my recent holiday in Peking, the colour renditions are not that satisfying, with evidence of too much saturation, especially in red. The Fuji HS 20 is, in my opinion, far better in this respect. I got six cameras with me this time, including Fuji X10, Fuji HS20, Panasonic FZ28, Panasonic LX3, Sony A350 and Sony A55, so the results are very interesting in comparisons.

Here are some examples (I have even desaturated the colours by using Photoshop) :-

The HS20( no Photoshop)

The Sony A350 with 18-70mm kit lens

Last edited by kcc123; 07-04-2012 at 15:07.
    King

I'm David.

did you have the x10 set to "velvia" ... maybe a silly question but if your getting vivid shots it might explain it
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm King.

I can remember what shooting mode I used as I normally set it to standard because I think the colour renditions in velvia mode are not my cup of tea.
    King

I'm King.

The first time when I tried to use the X10 without reading the manual, I could not figure out how to turn it on, very embarrassing indeed.

One thing that I do not like about the X10 is you can’t attach a filter on it because it has no filter thread.
    King

I'm David.

my suggestion would be to use filters with bigger cameras anyway ...
    ok the lx3 takes filters, but overall IQ is not as high!

as for saturation you could always use the "astia" mode or just alter the settings to your own taste .. personally i dont worry to much about that sort of thing as I shoot almost solely in raw and process to taste anyway ...
    in raw the only thing to worry about is if anything clips ... on RPF we have a chap with a xpro1 who had some problems with reds clipping to magenta in bright light ... but even that is manageable with a raw file. with jpeg shooting you might not be so lucky!

and yeah, even after reading about how to switch it on i forgot and looked at it puzzled for a few moments ... its very intuitive once you know though i think

Im surprised to hear from someone who isnt impressed with it ... everyone i have come across with one has been happy ... even taking into account the "orb" issue

I'm King.

Unfortunately, I always shoot my photos in jpeg as it takes longer time for the camera to process pictures in raw even if I use a faster card. Also I am still leaning how to use those photo editing programs and my Photoshop CS2 or CS3 does not support raw files. Some of my cameras did come with raw editing programs but they are very basic.
    Last week I purchased a Corel PaintShop Pro X4 which can support raw files and it means I could start taking photos in raw from now.
    Last edited by kcc123; 07-04-2012 at 20:27.
    King

I'm David.

Lightroom 4 can be had for £100 now ... At that money it's almost a no brainer and makes the tradition from jpeg to raw seamless!

I'm King.

I knew it would be very costly to get a Photoshop PS5 and was not aware that the Lightroom 4 also supports raw as well, I should have bought it instead.
    King

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast