View Poll Results: How do you rate Mike Oldfield's 'Tubular Bells'

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10 - And Richard Branson can 'eff off for funding it.

0 0%
  • 2/10 - Run for the hills!

1 2.94%
  • 3/10 - Have you heard the demo? It's even worse.

0 0%
  • 4/10 - I kept the copy they gave away with the Daily Mail.

2 5.88%
  • 5/10 - Bits are OK, but it's a bit grandiose at times.

2 5.88%
  • 6/10 - Brings back good memories of the 6th Form Common Room.

1 2.94%
  • 7/10 - I'm not really a 'Prog' fan but I like it.

4 11.76%
  • 8/10 - I think it's a great album, but not so sure about his others.

15 44.12%
  • 9/10 - Fantastic, but I wish it had been a Double Album.

4 11.76%
  • 10/10 - So incredible I bought all the sequels. And the 'Best Of'

5 14.71%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 27.03.2012 - Mike Oldfield 'Tubular Bells', 1973

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by F307 View Post
    Your lucky you got 2/10 from me
    You always did have a sweet spot for old Richard Branson!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Barry.

I haven't played it for this comment because there really is no need as I know it so well as do most people.Its an iconic album and a deffo 8/10 but that means, according to the poll blurb I not sure about his other albums,well I am sure and I like them so its 9/10.
    btw. this is the 2nd Mike Oldfield album we've had, no problem just thought I'd mention it.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I have always liked this first offering from Mike Oldfield, even though it was not 'street wise' to confess such. But the definitive version must be the one featuring the late Vivian Stanshall 'introducing' the instruments.

Sad to say, when he says: "...plus tubular bells" followed by the first strike, it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

I'm giving it 8/10.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

The problem for me is that Mike Oldfield arrived at the summit, he never really did anything better than his 1st album, most artists progress, slowly improving their craft, but for poor Mike Oldfield how do you top such a stonking 1st album, if you asked the average joe on the street to name a Mike Oldfield record, i would say 7/10 would be able to answer and would say Tubular Bells, but ask the same people to name 2 other LP's he's made and i think it would be down to 1/10. A cracking recording in my book and for me a solid 8/10

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Peter.

Brilliant, 10/10 and one album that caused me to re-assess my opinions of some turntables I owned and their construction. One of those albums I didn't take to on the first hearing on a car radio. Immediately a favourite when played on vinyl. Like the orchestrated version as well. Hercest Ridge I like also.

Excellent choice. Just a shame he never progressed, as said, but where do you go from that one?

Regards
    Pete
    A Canadian enjoying Wales.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    The problem for me is that Mike Oldfield arrived at the summit, he never really did anything better than his 1st album, most artists progress, slowly improving their craft, but for poor Mike Oldfield how do you top such a stonking 1st album, if you asked the average joe on the street to name a Mike Oldfield record, i would say 7/10 would be able to answer and would say Tubular Bells, but ask the same people to name 2 other LP's he's made and i think it would be down to 1/10. A cracking recording in my book and for me a solid 8/10
    I think you're right, Mike. I'm currently giving Ommadawn another go, after Paul / Audioman's comment and am really enjoying it, but it doesn't half sound like a 'remake' of ideas in Tubular Bells at times. Those sounds, arrangements must be burnt into his brain.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Mike.

Well, i gave it an 8/10 as i do believe it is one of his better albums. But on the other hand i own most of his other work also..
    4 vinyl releases of Tubular Bells and one SACD, bought the last LP 3 days ago!

I really do like Crises and Five Miles Out also! (So sue me! )

BR Mike
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 29-03-2012 at 08:27. Reason: fixed smiley

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Well here's an interesting choice for sure If you had asked me to rate it in 1973 I would without doubt have given it a 10, now I'm not so sure. I have gone for years without listening to it, as I played it to death and cannot play it anymore. However, I will sit down and see how it fairs now, I might enjoy it again, which will be an interesting experiment?
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Interesting experiment, but my initial thoughts were correct in that I don't really enjoy this album anymore. I certainly used too, but it now sounds dated and tired to me and holds not interest musically, so I can only score it 5/10 now.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm John.

Yeah, I spose it is a good album. I'm not sure which incarnation of it I have, but I have it. I think I listened to it all the way through last around a couple of years ago.
    Can't quite seem to concentrate on it all the way through these days. Just sort of drift off into thought and don't really notice the music after a while.
    Stale, thats the description I'm looking for. Very decent when fresh but gorn orf a bit over time.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast