View Poll Results: How do you rate Mike Oldfield's 'Tubular Bells'

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10 - And Richard Branson can 'eff off for funding it.

0 0%
  • 2/10 - Run for the hills!

1 2.94%
  • 3/10 - Have you heard the demo? It's even worse.

0 0%
  • 4/10 - I kept the copy they gave away with the Daily Mail.

2 5.88%
  • 5/10 - Bits are OK, but it's a bit grandiose at times.

2 5.88%
  • 6/10 - Brings back good memories of the 6th Form Common Room.

1 2.94%
  • 7/10 - I'm not really a 'Prog' fan but I like it.

4 11.76%
  • 8/10 - I think it's a great album, but not so sure about his others.

15 44.12%
  • 9/10 - Fantastic, but I wish it had been a Double Album.

4 11.76%
  • 10/10 - So incredible I bought all the sequels. And the 'Best Of'

5 14.71%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Album Club: 27.03.2012 - Mike Oldfield 'Tubular Bells', 1973

I'm Keith.

I just can't vote on this one

For what it was at the time and how much I raved over it on first listening, I could do nothing but give it 9/10, however nowadays it doesn't have anything like the same appeal - it's still a decent album, but Ommadawn was better and I feel it a bit sad that he keeps/kept revisiting Tubular Bells so frequently. On that basis I would vote 6/10 - but that would be ridiculous.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm ChrisB.

I realised it's time to do some catching up on the Album Club, not least because I'm up tomorrow!
    No, I've never been able to get properly interested in anything Mike Oldfield has done for some reason. I gave my old copy of this a ceremonial cleaning on the RCM in order to give it the best chance it could have but to no avail, I'm afraid.
    I can take it or leave it, but I just find it all a bit boring.
    5 out 10 from me.

MartinT Guest

It's a true classic but I don't own it at all. I suppose I should get a copy. Very much a one-trick pony with some of his other works sounding vaguely similar. 6/10 as that describes it perfectly for me

I'm Rich.

I dug out the Daily Heil copy i acquired from the mother in law and gave it a listen (what is with MILs and and right wing newspapers?) it gets a four from me and I'm partial to a bit of prog too but its a bit twee for my tastes and I found myself reaching UFOrb after this. Mind the generation gap!
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    I dug out the Daily Heil copy i acquired from the mother in law and gave it a listen (what is with MILs and and right wing newspapers?) it gets a four from me and I'm partial to a bit of prog too but its a bit twee for my tastes and I found myself reaching UFOrb after this. Mind the generation gap!
    You won't get this listening to the (do you mean Mail On Sunday ?) freebee. The SQ was atrocious.

I'm Shane.

My main memory from 1975 was just how many people had Tubular Bells. Wherever I went to install hifi systems, it would get dragged out by proud new owners to try out their latest purchases. Little old ladies, retired bank managers, vicars, postmen, hippies, cool freaks, tinkers, tailors, soldiers, sailors, everyone had a copy of Tubular Bells, and everyone thought no-one else had heard of it and couldn't wait to show it off to me. For about three months, I hardly heard anything else. I don't think any album ever had the same sort of impact, with the possible exception of DSOTM. Despite that, I still love it.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Paul.

Easy one this... 10/10!
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Bernie.

9/10 for me.
    Bernie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123