+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headphones

Default Headphones

Any recomendations for headphones up to say £200.00. Always had Sens but fancy a change...Not to impressed with Grado..

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

I use AKG K701's and AT A900, both are not bad but maybe a bit over your budget, I personally don't like the Sen 650's and preferred the 600's

Strange this may seem but i bought a pair of £40.00 Sen 'HD457' over the 'HD650'

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Not strange at all mate, I always found the higher priced Sens have too much of a sonic signature I don't like

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Andr'e,

You should check out AKG K601s:

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=...&sa=N&start=40

Scroll down and click on the link (9th down) that takes you to their feature on the Stone Audio website.

I've got a pair and they're stunning. The build quality is fantastic, they're mega comfortable, and most importantly sound great. I think they'd be right up your street, sound-wise... smooth, detailed, with great bass and totally non-fatiguing

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Stu.

you say you don't like 'em but i've just bought a pair of grado 80s and have to say they're sonically superb. i was a tad worried they'd be uncomfortable but they are way more comfy than the beyer dt100s i had.

I like Grados - I used to have a pair of SR-325s, but I can fully understand why Andr'e might not be so keen on them. I've also heard the SR-80s.

They major on midrange clarity but have the tendency to be somewhat bass-light...very communicative, though. I would use them with a good valve headphone amp and I think the results would be stunning. They're bloody uncomfortable to wear though over long periods. I guess they're ok if yer lugs and dome aren't too big!

The AKGs, on the other hand, are ideal for a long, relaxing listen...super comfy and with a lovely rich, detailed, tonal balance that's sweet as a nut without ever sounding shut-in or 'heavy'. And they look gorgeous!

Over to you now then, Andr'e...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Thanks chaps.Grado no no for me, tried em.Funny enough Marco i was gonna listern to the AKG '240Studio' version but i'm happy to give the bigger a go.Thru experience especially sens, the get worse as the price rises...

The 240 Studio's are nice, Andr'e, but lack the refinement and finesse of the 601s. If you can stretch to the extra, IMO the difference is more than worth it.

Pity the wooden-cheeked Grados are so expensive because they're in a different league altogether

Marco.
    Main System

The truth of the matter is there for CD listerning only, listerning to vinyl would be a sacrilege through phones besides i don't have heaphone facilities on the vinyl system (don't do two source systems, impossible to get them to sound the same).The reason i don't wanna fork out too much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast