+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Net Audio Quad 33 upgrade PSU

I'm Stephen.

Thumbs up Net Audio Quad 33 upgrade PSU

My Quad 33/303 have already benefited enormously from the upgrades David Pritchard at Net Audio (www.net-audio.co.uk) has supplied - I was thus very keen to try the new Quad 33 PSU he has recently made available - reading his website it seems that they are all designed to work together to produce an ultra low-noise regulated power supply with all the attendant benefits this brings to SQ.

Removing the existing PSU and fitting the new unit (including minor component mods to my tape adapter board) took less than an hour and the 33 powered up with no problems on first switch on.

I left things 4 hours or so to warm up - I was immediately aware of a big increase in the soundstage and a more dynamic and musical sound - a bit forward but not overly so. There was a clarity and control not present before as well as revealling previously "hidden" detail - especially obvious on my "test record" dark side of the moon. The previous lightness in bass I'd noticed since putting in the Type 24 crossovers was now gone (but this of course could be due to the X-overs just burning in) and the overall tonal balance is now (for my tastes) spot on. Really impressed

This IMHO is a very worthwhile and cost-effective upgrade to the 33 (£69). I'm not sure if David recommends an "upgrade path" with his 33 mods (do you need to have all the other goodies before getting the best out of the new PSU for example?) but I'm sure an email would bring the answer (sales@net-audio.co.uk).

For the record I have no conflict of interest with Net Audio or David Pritchard but can recommend his 33/303 upgrades unreservedly and this latest one especially.

Attached photos show new PSU and sequence of removing original and fitting upgrade.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always a little further

I'm graham.

I have bought every upgrade for my 303 power amp from David and I am just about to order the final part which is the new front panel as I think it is a worthwhile upgrade. The one thing that drives me nuts about the 303 though is the plastic clips holding the power supply board and the amplifier boards to the chassis. If anyone has any or knows where I can get some from I would be very grateful.
    David was extremely helpful when I performed the upgrades and he took the time to look at the pictures I sent him giving me guidance.

I'm jeroen.

Hello steve,
    Sorry to reply on this very old post.
    But it is just the subject i was looking for.
    I also own a Quad 33 with all the Net Audio upgrades. It still has the external psu on the tape adapter board.
    I have ordered from Redhill Audio a toroidal ultra low noise internal psu, for the 33. Since Net Audio no longer exists. sadly.

My question is, since the website from netaudio is down i cannot find it anymore: What were the minor modifications on the Netaudio tape adapter board in order to let the internal psu work?

I hope you still remember cause it would be a great help.
    Thank you in advance.

regards Jeroen

I'm jeroen.

Hi there,
    I have got my answer.
    The Net Audio site is up again.
    Regards
    Jeroen

+ Reply to Thread